• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help choosing a muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abaron

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have recently been invited on a muzzleloader whitetail hunt and need to purchase a gun. I've been searching the web for the last week and just about every gun I've researched has good and bad points. Any recommendations on a good gun at a good price would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What are the other guys hunting with? If they are using modern in-line muzzleloaders you might want to check with the crowd on this forum:

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/

If they are using more traditional side-lock weapons, somebody here can probably help you out - but not me! :sorry: Haven't done much hunting with a muzzleloader yet.

Lyman Great Plains (Rifle model for round balls, Hunter model for conicals) or Thompson Center Hawken are great starter guns. They're accurate, well-made, and reasonably priced.

:m2c: :thumbsup:

Welcome!!! :thumbsup:

50 or 54 caliber will do nice on deer.

See if you can get to a gun shop or two and shoulder up and handle a few muzzleloaders. See what feels and handles best to you.

Don't forget you will also need about $50-100+ worth of accessories as well (Shooting pouch, powder, caps, projectiles, maintenance items and so on).

Good entry level production traditional styled muzzleloaders can be had from for more information:

A caplock Thompson/Center Hawken or Renegade www.tcarms.com
or
Lyman Caplock Great Plains, Trade or Deerstalker. www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm
or
Pedersoli Caplocks www.davide-pedersoli.com
or
Traditions Caplocks www.traditionsfirearms.com

There are others as well.

Also, don't discount the used muzzleloader from a gun shop. They can be a very nice starting place if you know what to look for and can save a great deal of money. Basically you are looking in the bore and the mechanicals of the used ML to determine the care or neglect. Black powder rusts if left to do so.

Also, try the search utility here on the forum. Lots of information. Lots of really knowledgeable folks here.

Again welcome!

:hatsoff:

Tahquamenon

Depends on your price range, but for off-the-rack guns I like the Pedersoli Frontier (AKA Cabelas Blue Ridge) in .50 caliber. Had one, loved it.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Mine's a .54 caplock and for under $20.00, I upgraded to the Lyman "Hunting Sight set". The white front bead really shows up in the woods. Check with Mid-South Shooting Supply, or the under-the-counter catalog at Wally World.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Mine's a .54 caplock and for under $20.00, I upgraded to the Lyman "Hunting Sight set". The white front bead really shows up in the woods. Check with Mid-South Shooting Supply, or the under-the-counter catalog at Wally World.
:: $20.00 ::
Is there supposed to be another "0" in there , somewhere?

How soon is the hunt? That will determine how quickly you need to buy and have time for practice. If you have time check the local gun stores and pawn shops. It is surprising how many people buy a muzzleloader and quickly decide they don't like it. I was a little late making up my mind and missed buying a Mowry rifle for $300.00 at a pawn shop.
If you need it quick try Cabelas or Bass Pro or a similar sports store.
Will you want to stay in the sport, or is it more a one time thing?
Jim

Lyman's Great Plains Rifle is a solid choice. Built mine from a kit twenty + years ago.

lucifer1.jpg

Just :m2c:

I have recently got a Pedersoli .50 Country Hunter. I was recomended this as a good entry point muzzle loader, for someone who wants to do a bit of deer hunting with it.

In a local shop here there is an Uberti Mountain rifle that is calling to me. I just don't have the $370 extra right now (plus I said my next one would be flint, this is a capper). The barrel says Log Cabin Shop on it. Nice lookin piece for a late-era mountain man wannabe.

I agree with Tahquamenon.

You will money ahead if you find a shooter that you feel comfortable shouldering.

If nothing else, check with your buddys that your hunt'in with and check out there shooters and maybe shoot a few as well.
:m2c:

Lyman's Great Plains Rifle is a solid choice. Built mine from a kit twenty + years ago.

And its a bit prettier than mine too. ::

GPRs are very nice rifles. Lyman Deerstalkers are fine too. 50 or 54 calibers will do nicely for Texas.

But parroting what the other guys said, check with your buddies and see what they are hunting with. Maybe they'll let you got to the range and see what you do and don't like.

See if you can get to a gun shop or two and shoulder up and handle a few muzzleloaders. See what feels and handles best to you.

I strongly agree this and WEZ! I got talked into a gun without actually holding it. Dang thing has been way to heavy for my body frame. Unfortunately, it was always a challenge. The weird thing is I was talked into this gun because of hunting. I have yet to use it for that purpose! You have heard quite a few suggestions. Choose wisely, grasshopper....... :m2c:

TexiKan

If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

Any recommendations on a good gun at a good price would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
abaron,
Need a bit more information on your part...
Is this a modern in-line hunt or a traditional hunt. If
a modern in-line hunt then follow AZ-Roberts advice.
If traditional you will most likely find the answer you
are looking for here.
Reguardless, if this is just a one time deal,see if one of your friends has a gun you could use. Take it to the range and see that you know what it can do.
If you do not have the time or inclination to do this i would suggest you pass on the hunt. Just
wondering have you ever hunted deer before with anything.
Being from TX i would think you have...
snake-eyes

snake-eyes :hmm:

Before you buy a gun you need to know the following:

-What type of terrain will you be hunting in?
-Will you be sititng in a blind or stalking on foot?
-What distances will you be shooting at?
-What are the minimum calliber and bullet requirements for the state you will be hunting in?

Walking in open country allows for long range shots, so that would need a longer barrel which would tire you out quicker then a carbine that would normally give you short range accuracy.
USing a blind would let you use that long barrel springfield. Walking in brush is best suited for short barrled carbines as they wont snag so badly in the underbrush.

But most important are you going to hunt alot with this weapon? A one time hunt would make the most economical sense to get a 90 dollar inline.

Latest posts

Back