• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help finding a deer hunting setup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I’m a 15 year old boy who’s trying to get into the world of flintlock hunting to extend the notoriously strict Pennsylvania deer season. There seems to be quite a lot to know and not a lot of information for beginners to start. I’m only 111 lbs and 5 foot 5. I therefore want to have a relatively light weight gun with more modern specs and to use a light charge, however I’m not sure what deems a charge as light, it seems like ninety grains or less? Also, the main gun I’m looking at is a traditions pa pellet ultralight for its modern specs such as a removable breach plug. However, some people really seem to hate traditions. I would like to keep the cost under $555 if possible but budget isn’t a super big deal. Additionally, what kind of ammo should I use? I’ve already ruled out the conical and round ball, but am I too quick to do so? I’ve heard great things about Barnes sabots, but I’m not sure which one within their line to get. What kind of grain bullet should I get? Are Powerbelts better? Also, I’d like to be able to ram the bullets in by myself so an easier loading bullet would definitely be something I would factor in. Lastly, what powder will I need for the pan? If there is anything else you would like to add such as tips for shooting etc feel free to add on. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ethan Rubin

The modern spec guns are all discussed over at the site mentioned above, if you’re stuck on moderns. Most of us don’t know the first thing about those guns, but I’d suggest a traditional percussion gun as your first. Old school and simple. Just as a small aside, the traditional muzzleloader season in PA is best enjoyed with a traditional muzzleloader. I go modern or traditional as loopholes never appealed to me. Good luck and welcome to the world of black powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back