• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Identifying This Heavy Behemoth!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoZach

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello All,
Trying to figure out what this is, cannot find anything on it. Any leads would be greatly appreciated please. Pics should be sufficient.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7126.JPG
    IMG_7126.JPG
    469.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7127.JPG
    IMG_7127.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7128.JPG
    IMG_7128.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7129.JPG
    IMG_7129.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7130.JPG
    IMG_7130.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7131.JPG
    IMG_7131.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7132.JPG
    IMG_7132.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7133.JPG
    IMG_7133.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7134.JPG
    IMG_7134.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 0
D
Would that be a Whitworth? Or similar.
Definitely NOT any kind of Whitworth. Whitworth was utterly English and first designed the rifling system that bears his name, then founded the company that made them, and then developed a hexagonal-bored breech-loading field gun that, too, bore his name.

Last edited:
I’m thinking with the sling it is a Jaeger. Here is a picture of one I got from the same time period . Bottom rifle.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big for a Jaeger - although we have no details about it, including its weight, it looks to be VERY substantial - I'm betting maybe 15 -16# or more.

Jaegers in Europe, where they came from, are for carrying up and down Alpine slopes and mountain hunting.

The name is well-known - J Eggiman was a noted Buchsenmachermeister in Sumiswald - a municipality in the district of the Emmental administrative district in the canton of Bern, Switzerland.

He also made many pistols, too. Here is one of them in 18mm calibre -

1719506660288.png

Last edited:
Now c'mon Mr Mcat - you've kept us hanging on long enough with folks trying to help you out.

Howabout some dimensions? THEN I'll tell you what the little key is for, and translate the label. Seems pretty clear to me, TBH.

Deal, or I'm done here.

Last edited:
Very long range hunting rifle , for use with a rest. I think - not sure- some hunting was done from a covered shed with all the comforts of home in it. Much like today…..

I can't wait for Mr MoZac to get his act together, and I'm sure that the rest of you are keen to know -

The key-feature is used to adjust the set trigger pull, and the label reads

Gun number 7

Percussion Stutzer - a style of heavy hunting rifle, mostly used from a stand.

[for] Hunting - from before 1837.

1719511434199.png

reads

Last edited:
Now c'mon Mr Mcat - you've kept us hanging on long enough with folks trying to help you out.

Howabout some dimensions? THEN I'll tell you what the little key is for, and translate the label. Seems pretty clear to me, TBH.

Deal, or I'm done here.
Sorry sir I didn’t make the original post so I can’t give you any dimensions. I was just trying to join in like yourself.

Back