• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying this lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy Gentlemen,
I have acquired a rather nice custom Flintlock rifle. It seems from the patina and other indications that it has some age to it. Because I am curious I disassembled it for a good cleaning and thorough examination. The gun has a G R Douglas barrel marked XX.
Does anyone here recognize this lock or it's markings that might indicate when and by whom it was made. Perusing the lock manufacturers websites, It appears to fit the style and dimensions of a large Siler (approx. 5 1/4" long X 1" tall) . If I'm wrong let me know. There is a series of letters and numbers visible when I removed the mainspring and an odd little stamp that might be a pigs head or a bird following the letters . They are 1276 RTG . It seems to be well made and functions smoothly and throws good sparks. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20240622_180329953.jpg
    PXL_20240622_180329953.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240622_180353691.jpg
    PXL_20240622_180353691.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Barrel a Douglas premium & Siler sold lock kits at first so might be the assembler Herman Stone used to sell assembled locks but this isn't one of his ' Locks & Stuff ' offerings .Most custom makers signed their guns .
Rudyard

It looks Siler-ish with these differences. The frizzen on a Siler is thicker front to back and none have that divot in the underside of the pan cover. The pan looks different to me. It has a slight waterproof feature - could have been filed. The bridle shape is different. The sear arm sits too high.

To all you gents so far; thank you. I was hoping someone might recognize the odd little bird or pigs head stamping . One would think that that has to be unique to some maker or manufacturer. The opinion of crudeness of the parts ( and from a man who is an expert judge - I have read many of your posts) puzzles me in this way: The rifle furniture is engraved, the stock is carved and well finished, with a premium barrel. Why would a builder go to that trouble in an obvious labor of love and use a less than quality lock? Please note: I am NOT disagreeing or getting defensive. I am curious about the gun and trying to learn a little about it if possible. I got this for a good price and it is attractive and shoots very well. I welcome all opinions and am hopeful someone might recognize it and an approximate date it was used. Again , my thanks to all.

You stated “It seems to be well made and functions smoothly and throws good sparks.” It doesn’t need to be this or that lock made by so and so if it’s functioning well. Consider when the barrel was made; there were a bunch of lock makers back then that are now gone.

Thank you for your response, sir. You are correct, it doesn't need to be anything. I just became curious when I saw the stamping inside the lock. Yes, curiosity did kill the cat, but I'm still here. I was hoping someone familiar with one of these long ago lock makers could identify his work, or link it to an import, or pronounce it as less than desirable. This information would let me know a little more about the lock , and thus, the gun and it's past.
I really do appreciate all who have taken up their time and shared an opinion. I accept the fact that it is a rather crudely executed lock that works well. Sadly, It's origins and that of the gun will never be known to me.

Back