• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with inherited musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more question-

how does the plug come off so I can examine the bore of both guns? I assume they are screwed in? Any special tool needed to remove them?

thanks.

Hi
The percussion rifle is a CVA, or Connecticut valley arms, it was made in Spain, and was sold as kits or you could get one fully assembled.
It is a .45 caliber barrel.
I don't know about the other one, but I do know that you cannot remove what would normally be the breach plug on the CVA gun, it is welded on. I still have two of these, one is percussion, the other is flint, the percussion gun works fine is is a good gun for a beginner, as the can still be found cheaply, the flint was very accurate WHEN it sparked, I had the frizzen hardened many times, but it was still lousy steel and would not hold hardness for long.
Hope this helps you out.

Never seen a CVA with welded breech plug.
You must screw the drum out first, then a good cresent wrench on the breech plug will take it out. It will be tight.
A small bore light to slide down the barrel to inspect the bore would be much easier.

Back