• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with original flintlock, marked *SDB*

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All,

I just picked up an original flintlock rifle, looks to be about 40 cal, full stock, lots of inlays in silver and brass, four piece patch box, the barrel is signed * S D B * I will try to get some pictures up soon, wondered if anyone knows the initials. Thanks.....
:thanks:

TheGunCellar

Guncellar -

In the book - Gunsmiths of Ohio - there is a Stephen Burnett listed in Mahoning County. Unfortunately, there is no middle initial given. I noticed you are in NE Ohio and tried to limit my search for that particular area.
Do you have any idea of the general area the rifle may have originated?
I love those old originals!!
8905c

I don't know why but I keep thinking that it's a PA gun, It has several silver inlays that are engraved, I will try to post pic's tomorrow.

TheGunCellar

Here are some pictures
SDB1.jpg

SDB2.jpg

SDB3.jpg

I'd like to see more pictures, especially the cheek side and the sideplate. Any carving? Looks like there's something around the tang - like to see that too. Can't tell much from the clips posted but it looks like a neat gun. Wood looks like maybe refinished or ??? Awfully clean wood.

Well this is really interesting. My first thought when seeing the box was that it looked like a very rudimentary form of a much more elaborate, pieced box that Samuel Baum used on occasion. Now that I see more of the rifle, I would have to definitely say that it looks upper Susquehanna to me, and perhaps an

And incidentally, if you feel like taking more pictures I would love to see them. Hint hint. Can you get a really clear shot of the carving? And the SIDEPLATE!! bottom of the guard? What type of inlays are down the forearm? The engraving on the box is very interesting and not something that is commonly found, but the overally qualiy of the engraving does match very nicely wih Baum's quality. Take a look at this - it would appear that engraving upon the rifle I have here somewhat matches the feel of the cheek carving on the rifle you have. Again, all of it very upper Susquehanna. I truly believe you have found an early Baum, perhaps made while he was still a young man.
baum2.JPG

Back