• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Id Advice and more, TC Penn Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsage

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Got this TC Penn Hunter in an estate sale. Here is what I know about it. The fellow who owned it shot it in "competition". He converted, i.e., replaced the original single trigger to a double set trigger. Don't want to be too critical here but the workmanship after conversion was not what it could have been. I got rid of the double trigger and installed an original type single trigger for this model of TC. He had replaced the lock, whatever that might have been, with a L&R flintlock. So don't know if it originally was a cap gun or flinter.

My questions are:
1. What is the small screw on top of barrel at the breech end? I should say what is its purpose. I have not tried to remove it. Pic below.
2. How can I tell if this rifle was a cap gun originally. Just curious I suppose.
3. Not pictured is the vent hole which is a bit too high over the pan from where it should be. Thus the pic of the non indexed barrel/breech plug. (maybe the breech plug is not the original). My understanding is that the TC Penn Hunter came it both cap and flintlock, so was the breech plug the same on both of these? Or maybe the small screw on the barrel is the answer to that?

Finally is does shoot. I'm replacing the vent liner with a new one as the hole was drilled out way too big. Maybe to get better ignition because the vent hole/liner was too high and maybe that is because the barrel/breech is not indexed all that well. You experts could answer that.
Oh, and the breech end of barrel sits about .125" from barrel channel. Not bedded either.
Just trying to correct some of these issues.
Thanks,
Marlowe

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    488 KB
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    631.1 KB

Latest posts

Back