• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need several Brown Bess barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krasnayaznamya

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to replace some India-made 1st and 2nd Model Brown Bess with american-made and proofed if possible for my regiment (1st Virginia).

Does anyone make a decent/affordable barrel that I can recommend as a replacement?

Thanx!!

Are the barrels identical in size? If so, Colerain or any other good barrel maker can make replacements for around $200 each.... Maybe. Contact them at the link below for a more accurate estimate of price and time. The trick is not just finding replacement barrels, you will need to fit them to the stock if the size is not the same as any replacement you find. Good luck, it will an interesting project.
[url] http://colerainbarrel.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, considering the possible impact of additional problems showing up with the India-made barrels, our regiment has decided to be a bit proactive and recommend options for our members.

I'll check with Colerain and see if I can get a deal. Thanx!

Since the concern seems to be about the quality of the Indian made barrels it may be cheaper in the long run to divest yourselves of the Indian made guns and move up to the Italian made reproductions, no problems with the quality of the Italian made and proofed barrels, they are known to be completely safe and reliable. It is doubtful that any two Indian made Brown Besses have identically sized barrels. If that is the case, each custom barrel will have to be made as a "one off" to fit a particular stock - that can get expensive. Even if you can get an average sized barrel to sort of fit all of the guns, each one will require stock work for the fitting of the new barrel. Not to mention the installation of pin lugs and drilling said lugs for their pins, etc. Good luck with the project, let us know how it turns out.

Okay, I went and checked Colerain's site for barrel prices and their current price for the 1755 Brown Bess barrel and all other military smoothbored musket barrels made to The Rifle Shoppe specs is $245. This may be for an unbreeched barrel and if that is the case, add to that the cost of the plug and fitting. The barrels are worth it, I apologize for my earlier quote of $200, it has been a couple of years since I purchased my last musket barrel from them.

Problem is asking a lot of our newer members, who have just invested nearly $3000 in clothing, gear, and weapon, to now turn around and spend close to $1,000 to get an Italian Bess. I understand the safety aspect, and that is the reason we are investigating all possibilities.

And for that matter, no one has come out and said that the indian made besses are a safety issue, just "lead turning" a recent incident.

I am merely asking whether it is possible, I understand the barrel differences, as well as the stock differences.

Appreciate the info!!

Give Ed Rayl a call. He is a barrel maker in WV. Give him the exact specs, or even send him one of the barrels to let him take the measurements and he will make you a drop in barrel. I think his tapperem round smooth bore barrels will be in the $225 range.
Brian

Back