• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some advise on my finished stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrat

40 Cal
Reaction score
99% completed woodsrunner and I put a dent in the stock (!#&@). Just finished drying a 6 coat finish of Tried & True. The dent is a smooth shallow circle about a 3rd the size of a dime. My question is with the newly applied finish will it cause damage to try and steam it out right now? Or should I wait and let it cure until hardened? Thanks for any advise........Labrat

To steam it out the finish must be removed. I would do it now. Use some alcohol and remove a minimum area to be steamed. Unless you have something smaller than an iron, the area will need to be that large. I was smart enough to knock over and step on a rifle I just finished (on my rough asphalt driveway). Many curse words erupted from my mouth. I had to re-do pretty much the whole forestock on the right side. took a few days but came out fine.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem. I'd leave it as it will become dented with use pretty quickly. Maybe take a picture to let us see it.

My BIL is a cabnet maker. He told me that for dents that do not tear the wood, to just dab on some water and let it alone for a bit. This is on non-finished wood.

The water absorbs into the wood and the wood will raise back up. It has worked every time I needed it to.

Shoot it. If it isn't dinged up its not used enough.

Best answer yet. I seem to put more dings in stocks and scratches on metal in the last few stages of finishing a rifle than I do in a year of field use. Consider it "distressing", and maybe give the dent a few "friends" and darken it a little so it doesn't look lonely or fresh.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and opinions on my situation. I think i'll bite the bullet and let the dent stay. The tried & true has many coats already protecting it from water preparation. So it would require me to remove it, which is the last thing I want to do, and I believe I would cause even more issues. Wood working is a nightmare for me. Any way I found out today that I may have to sell the rifle as my grand daughter didn't get all the college grants she thought so I told her I would cover it. Thanks..........Labrat

I agree with doing nothing. The last thing you want to do is spot-remove finish. Chances are after some use it won't be all that noticeable to anyone but you. Hope you have some fun shooting it first if you decide to sell.

Back