• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need something soldered, recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a pedersoli sxs and the barrel was loose. I own 3 and all of them I have had to do this. The newer ones have a more robust pipe where the wedge goes through. I didn't notice this difference until it was too late.I used a punch to bend the slot in the pipe the wedge goes through but bent it a little too much. I tried to open it back up but accidentally cracked it. It's still soldered to the barrel and no damage there but the slot cracked. I think the proper fix or at least a sufficient fix would be to solder it. I understand there are 2 different kinds of solder that can be used. One where much less heat is needed and won't affect the blue as much. I would like someone in my area, the piedmont of NC, within an hour and a half or so of winston, greensboro, high point. If there isn't anyone localish I would ship
It to someone, maybe a member or whoever can handle the job. I do realize it won't look so pretty, but it's hidden under the handguard and I'm just looking for function over everything. Any help is appreciated. Below are some pics of the damage.

Attachments

• 20240909_234850.jpg
    20240909_234850.jpg
    844.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240909_234854.jpg
    20240909_234854.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240909_234916.jpg
    20240909_234916.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240909_234929.jpg
    20240909_234929.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Doesn't look bad, draw file that top flat to get the punch marks out and use some silver solder and some good flux on the bottom part,

or maybe, heat it up good with a torch and put a spot weld on the cracked places.

I'm not in your area I'm quite a ways West and a bit north of you, if you can't get some help pretty soon and you feel like you can trust me to silver solder it up for you let me know and I'll get you an address to have it trucked to

Last edited:
@Blackpowderart I can't solder worth a darn so I know where you are coming from. This won't help you now, but for future tightening of those barrel lugs try this. Lay the round part of an appropriately sized ratchet socket on the lug then tap with a light hammer. This avoids the punch marks and, I think, evenly distributes the hammer blows. I can hear some howls, but you might try original JB Weld. That stuff has never failed me on any project. Good luck.

Last edited:
Find a professional gunsmith that works on shotguns - with the emphasis on barrel rib soldering. If you send it to some "hack" or "joeblow" you might end up with TWO separate barrels. Separation of the barrels is a VERY strong possibility from overheating that area if you don't know what you are doing. Good luck.

That is a very simple job for anyone who is experienced in using a torch. Machine and welding shops should have someone. Also an experienced A/C mechanic often has to solder tubing where proper heat control is needed. The key here is experience.

I don't know the cost of fixing that but.. I'd want to send it to him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240910_183638_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240910_183638_Google.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 0
I thought about using jb weld but I thought if it doesn't work it will be difficult for someone to solder after the fact. The barrel is nice and tight now, so I got it where I want it. Bending it wasn't the problem, trying to un-bend it was. I tapped a flathead through the slot and that's what split it. Should have used a file or dremel to remove the excess but I know that now.

now the screaming will begin ......but if it is still attached then leave it alone file the slot to fit the key the odds say that it will never give you a problem during your life time unless you are planning to shoot it a hundred times a day with magnum charges ?

First cleanup the damaged lug as other members state before silver soldering & after repair is done bend the barrel wedge to tighten barrel to stock fit.
Using a propane/map gas torch with a small concentrated tip will help keep heat where you want it.
Check out torch options on Amazon.
*Use some acetone to remove any oil from the surfaces to be soldered.
Before applying heat cover the surrounding areas with contoured sheet metal to help deflect heat away.

Might need to use a small C-clamp to hold the lug in place, soon as you see the solder melts between the surfaces let the solder cool.

Latest posts

Back