• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need to drill vent hole help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember right, touch hole liners go back to the 1600's. In 18th century America they were used pretty commonly as a repair for burned out direct drilled vents. Wouldn't be at all out of place on an 18th century American rifle that had seen some use.
If somebody ddn't want to use stainless which would be understandable in certain cases there are other options.

I would question how commonly they were used, some sources site rebreeching the barrel, they are definately way over done on guns today from a historical stanpoint, it is hard to see but I have not picked out many in the RCA series, they seem kind of out of place on a new gun but that is what the standard of the industry is, I kind of like trying to duplicate the experience and since trying a couple of guns with no liner I won't go back,

I have seen the pics of the cut away breech plug faces and know the concept, you don't want the hole to far ahead of the face, I just always like to rekindle the notion of what was the common practice on new guns in the past and that it does work, usually with a bigger hole than most like to use now. I do not see any danger in a properly installed liner but would like to see some more folks give the old way a try they may be surprised.

Thanks, Cooner. I am thinking about using a hooked breech on my next build, and I wasn't really certain how things were going to line up.

Back