• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New 1858 Bison

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got my new 1858 Pietta Bison, I have been looking the gun over and notice the gap from the back of the barrel to the cylinder is not even and larger than all of my other CB'S. I have not pulled out the gauges yet but the top side of the barrel is about .03 from the cylinder and at the bottom is about .007. This is a brass frame with cylinder strap ( could not lay my hands on a steel frame for nuthin... well with the exception of cabelas $$$)

Any way, does this seem like too much variance or is is just the way these are manufactured. I do have to say this one probably needs the most tweaking of any i have ever owned. It has some minor hammer drag at the frame as well.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated

.07 is too much gap, and the fact that the cylinder face is not parallel with the face of the forcing cone is worrisome. The cylinder face may not be flat; the frame may be bent; the forcing cone may be misaligned; I'd return the pistol.

.03 top and .007 bottom gap?? that's .023" clearly visible but how did you measure? if it's that far off square I'd send it back, should be square cylinder to forceing cone face anywhere from .004 to .010 gap approx.

I went for the Cabella's stainless $$$ Buffalo. Not any of the gap problems you're having, thank god...I'd send it back!

Hopefully the next one will be better built.

Good luck!

Dave

Oops. Yes, .03 at the top. I did not catch that mistake in my post. Apologies, folks.

Sending it back is my take as well. It seems way too far off to be a good.

Thanks so much for the feed back. I got the measurement with feeler gauges as best I could. You can look at it with a quick glance and note the variance.

Many Thanks

Back