• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This is from a Pecatonica VA parts set. I wanted to do a gun that had a little more fancy carving and engraving on it. The one's I've built prior to this I considered "blue collar" guns. Pretty simple for the most part. This one I wanted a little more fancy so I did a little more detailing on the carvings and engravings. The cheekpiece inlay is some faux ivory I got from Texas Knife Supply.

.54 cal, Chambers roundfaced lock, 44 inch Green Mountain barrel, #3 maple stock, Davis dbl set triggers, MBS patchbox, LMF stain, and Chambers Oil finish.

54Flint025jpg.jpg

54Flint023jpg.jpg

54Flint021jpg.jpg

54Flint019jpg.jpg

54Flint017jpg.jpg

54Flint015jpg.jpg

54Flint013jpg.jpg

54Flint011jpg.jpg

54Flint008jpg.jpg

54Flint004jpg.jpg

54Flint002jpg.jpg

54Flint035jpg.jpg

54Flint027jpg.jpg

Greetings Capt.Fred,
You did a very nice job, I especially like the engraving, and carving. Over-all well thought out, with attention to detail! :thumbsup: Thanks for showing us.....mgcrumster

Nice LR...especially the carving and engraving. Also like the thick butt and architecture....Fred

Thanks guys. If anybody's got any questions fire away! They're pretty crappy pictures but it was 100+ degrees out there and I got tired of that real quick.

The only thing I did different on this one in terms of finishes was I left a lot more blue on the barrel than I normally do. I had planned on putting some dings in the stock to show some wear and tear but I chickened out. I really like the way Mike Brooks and Eric Kettenburg "age" their stocks but man it is hard to start banging on it. I'll take it to the range a few times and let some locals handle it and they'll take care of that. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Nicely done Capt. I would be proud to have a gun of that quality in my rack. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very nice! One question, stock was from Petonica, I believe you said....did you inlet the lock, or did they? Reason I ask is I was looking at their Virginia, but the lock inlet was a large Siler.

:hatsoff:

Yup, you are right. Their VA is usually set up for a large Siler. I spoke to Dick and we worked out the details regarding the rear of the barrel inlet and I had him inlet for the lock. The touch hole location is way different for this lock so he needed to move the barrel forward. It layed out just right with the touch hole just in front of the plug face. Dick does a real nice job and he's willing to do anything he can. When we spoke about it I left it up to him regarding inletting the lock. If he was comfortable he could get it all OK I told him to go ahead, otherwise I'd do it. It all worked out just right.

Latest posts

Back