• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new 58 caliber toy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornetk4

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy folks the wife and I went wondering a couple days back and we found a CVA 58 cal musket. It looks to be from the sixtys or seventys, it's in very good condition although I have not shot it yet. It is my first 58 cal so I have had to run around and gather all the goodies to load it, I have several other calibers all of them smaller.My biggest concern is the ball diameters vs the bore dia , books show the balls or projectiles to be of .577 dia but lead balls I got with the gun are of .570 dia and with a .015 thick lubed cotton patch , i haven't but will have to use a hammer to seat the ball to the powder. Got any advice ? the rifle is a CVA 58 caliber rifled bore it's called a Souave.The rifle is in near new condition I,ve got to shoot this one tomorrow, I mostly shoot 32s and 36xes goana use FF goex. thanks folks.

Well.............Look on the offside of the breech and see if you see the word "ZOLI". If you do you have one of the best "Zouauve" built. Not sure about the twist, but most people that shoot balls in these shoot either a .570 or a .562 diameter depending upon the size of the bore.

Of course the gun was designed to shoot the large elongated conical called the minnie ball, but I suggest to first try the round ball to get familiar with the weapon. Minnie balls take more work to find the correct size and powder charge to be as accurate as the ball if your not familiar with using the Minnie.

You will need you some ramrod adaptors to use the ramrod for cleaning or get you a range rod.

Good Luck.................Bob

I have a repro Armi Sport 1853 Enfield 3 band 58 cal and I shoot .570 Hornaday round ball with a .010 lubed patch and it works great. Patchs are stared nice after they are fired looks good. Good luck on you new toy.

My Zouave groups well with .570 balls and .018" pillow ticking patch with spit lube.

you may want to try the lee "improved" minnie. its a full wadcutter with a hollow base. they shoot good out of my .58 buffalo hunter.

I'm burning 60 to 65 gr of 2F with a 562 rb in an investarms hawken. Plenty of whump a not a hole lotta drop at 75yd!

Any closer than 50yd I'd be pretty comfy with backing down 10 gr.

60 gr. of 2f is a great place to start. work from there until its cutting 1 nice big cloverleaf. :grin:

I use 60 gr of 2f. I tried 70 but I didn't notice any difference so why waste the resources.

I picked up a used Zoli and it is a tack driver. I used .570 Hornady round ball with .015 Wonder Lube prelude patches and 45 grains of 3F or 55 grains of 2f and both print one hole groups at 25 yards and clover leafs at 50 yards using Remington No. 10 caps. I haven’t tried hunting loads through it yet because I am having so much fun plinking with it and these loads.

And BP J don’t worry about ramming the ball down the bore, once I get the patched ball past the muzzle the ball goes down the barrel slick as you please, I do use a steel range rod with a T handle though.

Id go with 60 grains of FFG with .570 round ball and .10 thickness pillow ticking will work for patching and use the 4 flang musket caps as the european 6 and 8 flang will blow apart and can hurt someone. If its never had ball down it before then it's going to be a little tight but after a few shots with spit patchs the newness will get worn and it will take time to break in. The basic sight setting is for 100 yards so you will have to adjust your aim at closer targets.
I have a early 80's Dixie Japan made 63 Springfield and it has been a darling to shoot and has put deer in the freezer for me. Well hope the info helps out best of luck.

Back