• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New '58 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titegroups

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up a stainless '58 Remington revolver from Cabelas, was wondering how much difference accuracy wise do wads make? Tried it without wads. Are wads pretty much mandatory for reasonable accuracy, if so what seems to work best in these types of guns? I'm new to black powder but have been shooting and reloading for many years. Any thoughts on powders would be appreciated also. Using 777 and Round balls. Seem to find only substitutes around here. Have to track down some real stuff! So far I really like the way it cleans up with just water.

Wads get mixed reviews. I find them very convenient and less messy than using grease, but they are more expensive. I've not personally had any accuracy improvements from using wads, but that could be due to my shooting skills. Be that as it may, if there is a benefit, I would think it's pretty small.

The main, and for me, only, reason to use wads is to keep fouling soft and to provide backup insurance against chain fires.

Welcome to the Forum!

I use wads for all of the reasons mentioned by mykeal, and I'll add these: I do notice a difference in accuracy with the use of the wads. I'm a competition shooter. I also have seen first hand how getting the balls closer to the forcing cone of the revolvers has helped my scores, not drastically, but helped none the less. It has been said that the less that the balls "jump" into the forcing cone, the tighter your groups will be. Apparently centerfire target shooters have been doing this for years by using magnum cartridge cases (with special sized loads, I.E.: .38 special).

I sometimes actually wipe some additional lube onto the wads from a tube of bore butter, and then store them together in a 35mm film can. I use these "wetter" wads during the cold dry part of winter. They seem to help! Oh, by the way, if you should try this extra lube thing, be sure to put the side with the extra lube towards the balls so it doesn't "soil" or spoil the powder charge! :wink:

Welcome to our wonderful hobby, and if we can be of any further help, just ask!

Dave

I use lubed wads in all my pistols. I make my own from felt hats I pick up at places like Salvation Army, and Goodwill. Nothing like taking up to the checkout counter a neon green womans hat with multiple feathers. I picked up a set of punches and can get up 500-700 wads out of a hat that cost a couple of bucks. I use bore butter as the lube. The cost goes down big time when you make your own. Last summer I over lubed a buch and when I loaded them in my Remy and fired them each chamber went PFFFFFFTT. Now I double check when loading a pistol. If they are questionable I lay them out to dry further. I now have I think about 3k worth each of .36 and .44 cal wads, and may only have 10 bucks invested in them.

Yeah,

That's why I told him to put the dry side towards the charge :wink: :rotf: .

Sounds like you have enough wads to start a war over there, LOL!

Dave

A warm welcome to the sport! I shoot a stainless '58 Remmy as well as others, and think you'll be happy with your choice.
I use wads, sometimes, but shoot using only Crisco at other times. I'm not too concerned with accuracy, doing it more for the fun!!

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered some wads from TOTW, going to give them a try. I've got a big piece of felt leftover from another project and some leather punches, I might try to cut a few out of that if i can find the right size punch. Seems like purpose-built punches are a bit expensive. Felt is cheap by the yard $4.

Back