• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I tried my hand at making a hunting pouch to go along with my Hawken rifle.
The horn is a work in progress. And I need a wide strap because the rifle is .58 cal.
I think a wider stap will displace the weight of the heavier load-balls, patch ect.
Do you have any suggestions?

DVC00081.jpg

DVC00079.jpg

DVC00077.jpg

DVC00076.jpg

I like it. I would add a nice braided strap and possibly add a patch knife sheath/slit.

Dave

very nice that is as about as period a looking bag for your time line as you will find anywhere :thumbsup: how long does your strap need to be i may have something to help you out ill look in my box wont cost you nothing .

Nice looking bag - agreed, it's about as period looking as you could get.

If you've got a Wal-Mart in your area (most towns do these days) - they have a jute webbing in the fabric area of the store.
Anyway, it's about 70 cents a yard - it's a bit wider than I would want - I would recommend you fold it over (double it).

I've also picked up woven cloth belts (some of cotton, some of jute) at the local Good Will for about 50 cents each - only problem is you've got to find a long belt for a bag compared to a gun sling (thats what I mostly use these for) - sorry, got carried away.

hope this helps, Wart

I have used 10 oz. canvas for a shooting bag and powderhorn straps. I double it over and sew it together for strength. Doing this you can get whatever width you want for the strap. If you can find it, wide latigo strapping would also work well.

My bag does get a little heavy on the strap when I am shooting my .58 so the wider width should help.

If there is a harness shop around, buy some leather strapping from them to make that shoulder strap. They probably can also sell you a buckle and cinch, if desired, so you can adjust the length of the strap for different uses.

Hey, you got the beaver tail sewes on there. Looks good! I vote for jute webbing, which you can sometimes find in hardware stores as industrial packing material.
But make your choice on comfort and aesthetics. Heck, you made the bag, you can always change the strap.

send me an address and ill send you this strap its a linnen+faustin blend -a little walnut dye and it will look like it been on thatbag for ever :v
100_0586.jpg

Latest posts

Back