• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's building my NW Trade Musket right now for me. :grin: I'm having mine built "in the white". I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Have fun with your new toy! :thumbsup:

Yours might be the one he was telling me about today. You'll have to let me know how you like it, been thinking about one myself.
Rob

Thanks for the info on Sitting Fox.I'm not familiar with them.Seems like very reasonable prices.I'd be curious about wood type stock options.I did a quick browse and didn't see any walnut.Congratulations on your new flinter :thumbsup:

Those guns look good and are some fine prices. Keep us informed as to your thoughts on how well it performs.

2crows said:
Thanks for the info on Sitting Fox.I'm not familiar with them.Seems like very reasonable prices.I'd be curious about wood type stock options.I did a quick browse and didn't see any walnut.Congratulations on your new flinter :thumbsup:

You can get walnut by requesting it. I'm having my 42" NW Trade Gun put in walnut. He has been very responsive via e-mail to all my questions and his price was right for me! :grin:

Looked a little closer at the sight and saw they offered a variety of woods. :redface:.I have to agree about the prices.I'm really eyein' the tulle. :winking:

While I'm sure that this post will sound like sour grapes to many I just felt compelled to write. I'll start off by saying that the communication between Ray and myself was beyond what I expected during the time span that he was building me a custom "Lehigh". Sent pictures of the wood blank for my review and approval. I originally told him I wanted a single trigger (he changed it to a double "set" trigger without asking my opinion first. The rifle was completed on time as promised. Ray sent pictures prior to shipping the rifle to me. The pictures were not clear enough to realize the following, the comb has absolutely no curve (roman nose) to it at all. The workmenship of the wood to metal fit is poor at best, the trigger guard is not centered and points to one side of the rifle. The butt plate looks like it was meant for another gun with the gaps at the comb and is crooked.

The first time I looked down the barrel it was obvious that the dovetail for the rear sight was not parallel with the top flat of the barrel, in fact I had to have it corrected. Took the gun to Dixons and he fixed the rear sight $60.00. I asked to have the barrel browned, it was but the texture is extremely rough.

I know what a lot of you are thinking why didn't I just call him back, well its not that simple. I blame myself for not further researching their work and asking for a list of previous customers (sometimes this works other times it doesn't) The main reason for not calling back was that this gun was a gift from my wife for our 5th wedding aniversary. Upon opening it had I shown my disgust with the workmenship her feelings would have been hurt thinking that I chose a builder based on price alone. I'm not saying that they cant produce a quality gun, I just wish it looked more like a "lehigh" rather than a "Dickert" In closing I wish you the best in your recent purchase and hope that my gun is not indicitave of their caliber of work. Like the saying goes "let the buyer beware"

It's good to hear both sides of the coin. I live only about an hour from Ray so I plan on picking up my gun in person. Also mine is being done "in the white" so I'll be the only one to blame for it's finish.

And really, how bad can you screw up a NW Trade Gun? A few "quirks" would just make it more authentic. :grin:

Back