• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flintlock Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoke_Ring

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Hawken flintlock that I am hunting with instead of a modern rifle because I want to take a deer with a flintlock. I made a flint stall out of leather and I have a cows knee (that I have misplaced). But I find myself digging around for my primer to prime the pan and if I leave it primed it is empty in no time. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Smoke_Ring

Check to make sure that the pan is closed tight to the frizzen when the frizzen stall is on and the hammer is at half cock. If it is not tight, then try it without the stall. If It is closed without the stall, then your stall is too thick and you should leave it off when actively hunting. You don't say what size powder you are using for priming, but if you are using 4f the pan and frizzen fit needs to be very tight (no light leakage between them) or the 4f powder will easily fall out through the gaps. Take the lock off and close the frizzen, and hold up to the light. There should be little to no light leakage between them. If the flint is touching the closed frizzen at the half cock position, it could be holding the frizzen off of the pan, in this instance the flint is too long for that lock.

Latest posts

Back