• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeronat

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I plan on hunting whitetail in pennsylvania this year using a flintlock for the first time. I have always bow and rifle hunted but the seasons seem to short anymore and I want to pick up the flintlock season. I have never shot one and know only a little from seeing and reading. I have to try it to really know though. I have been looking at rifles and dont want to spend too much just in case I end up not too good. I am considering the traditions hawken there is a place by me that has them for 249 is that about right? is this a good choice for a beginner? Also does anyone know of a good kit that is relatively cheap that has all the goodys will last because I am not sure what to buy individually and you can never trust those salesman.

Thanks

Muzzleloading is great, and Flintlocks are outstanding!

Stepping into both muzzeloading and flintlocks at the same time, and becoming completely outfitted and proficient with both for this year's deer season may be an ambitious challenge.

Neither muzzleloading nor flintlocks are rocket science, but there is a lot to learn about both...loads, projectiles, tools, methods, do's & don't, safety considerations, etc, etc.

Ideally, unless you're retired and can spend the days necessary before hunting season to get totally up to speed by yourself, it might be best if you can try to find someone local who can go to the range with you a couple times and give you a crash course in hands-on muzzleloading & flintlocks.

From a budget point of view, there are also a number of tools and accessories that you'll need to buy to measure powder, load, shoot, and clean your muzzleloader...not insignificant.

There's some good site references listed at the top of this forum under the "muzzleloader links" section which make for good reading to start getting into muzzleloading that cover a lot of these details too.

I am not sure what to buy individually and you can never trust those salesman.

Ain't thet the truth!!!!.... most of'em ain't never shot a muzzleloader!!

YMHS
rollingb

I am considering the traditions hawken there is a place by me that has them for 249 is that about right?

Let's see, you could spend upwards of $1000+ and find out you don't like it, or spend $249 and find out...

If you love it, then get you a better one when you can and save the $249 one for when your brother-in-law wants to use your muzzleloader...

I keep a lower value muzzleloader on hand for just that reason... :winking:

Read the many threads in the flintlock and smoothbore sections, they cover many flintlock conditions and styles, one thing to concider when buying a flintlock (moreso than a percussion) is, are you a right or left handed shooter?

Most people don't want their face on the same side as the lock...

Flintlocks are a good way to go!! Not putting down percussions, but flinters seem more fun to shoot. You might try to hook up with a club in PA that has muzzleloading competitions. If you go and do some talking to some of the members they might let you shoot a flintlock to see if the flash in the pan will bother you. Some people have a problem with this. :hmm:
Where in PA are you from? If you are anyways close to Chambersburg try Fort Chambers Muzzleloading shop. Jim Cullers knows a lot of the clubs around could maybe get you hooked up. He can also set you up right the first time with gear and he is a shooter, and hunter.
:thumbsup:

The Cabela's Traditional Hawken is a pretty good gun for the money, although not authentic looking by a long stretch. For not a lot more you can get a Lyman Great Plains rifle from Midsouth Shooters Supply. The lyman will hold its value better than the Cabela's Hawken in case you decide you don't like it and want to sell it. Midsouth lists the Great Plains rifle for $327.57 complete or you can buy it as a kit and assemble it yourself for $258.77. Hoe this helps.

Where in PA are you from? The early muzzleloader season will begin in a couple weeks. The late seaon, which is flintlock only, starts on the 27th of December this year. You'll also need a muzzleloader stamp. It must be purchased by November 13th. Good Luck and enjoy this most exhiliarating sport!
Rick

I am from southwest pa. about 20 miles from the west virginia border. I am just going to go to the later season in december. I took one with a bow already so I am going to space my tags out so I can enjoy all the seasons.

I remember being in a gun shop before and saw a synthetic stock flintlock I think it was a cva or one like that it was in a sealed plastic pack and it had all the goodys with it real cheap looking for I think a 100 bucks anyone know where I can get one of them just to shoot a few times to try. Then I can leave that for the brother in law.

Thanks

I'ld be very carefull buying a cheap flintlock. More than one new shooter has been soured on flinters because of the grief given by cheap models. There's a whole lot more to a reliable flint lock than a reliable caplock. There's only one chance to make a good first impression. Ideally, it would be nice if you could have an experienced flint shooter "show you the ropes" so to speak and let you try a proven flinter first. This isn't always an option. The advise given to keep the costs down until your sure it's for you is sound however, in doing so you may not get to see what flinter really have to offer. Perhaps if you get a quality piece, preferably used and proven reliable, and pay up front, you'll get a true feeling for what flinters are like and if it's not for you, you can resell and recoup your investment. Just a thought.

Cody

P.S. expensive does not automatically mean reliable and inexpensive does not automatically mean unreliable

Chances are if you buy cheap, your experience will be a cheap one. You will not get the feel for what a good or even middle of the road flintlock can really do.

"Rebel", points out the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, and I have to agree with him. The price is very reasonable and it is a quality muzzleloader. It may not have the flavor of a good ol' Lancaster longrifle, but it sure has the best things going for it as a production rifle, :imo:...

32" barrel, 1 in 60 twist, cut rifling is .010 deep, 9 to 9.25 pounds, rear buckhorn sight, 14 inch trigger pull, and what I like best is the 3 1/2 inch drop. This is not a cheap rifle for the price, which is very reasonable.

I really believe if you purchase a Lyman, you'll want to shoot it. Purchase a lesser flintlock and chances are you'll find yourself trying to unload it on someone else looking to buy cheap... :m2c:

I dont know that I would want to put my first one together maybe down the road I will build one but right now I would just like to light one off. There is store by my house like cabelas or gandermountain. they have three that I just saw and was curious which youns would pick. Traditions Hawken Woodsmen rifle for $219.99 or Lyman Deer Stalker for 249.99 or Lyman Trade Rifle for 249.99. I can get 10% more of on these to here is the link with all their flints.

http://www.woodlandsworld.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Flintlocks&C=1

Thanks again

I had a cheap cva bobcat flinter. Complete JUNK! At the very least go with a Lyman deerstalker. With flintlocks get the best you can afford, because you're really paying more fo a better lock. It took me a long time to get on shooting a flinter after trying that cheap piece of junk. I would hate to see you give it up after a bad experience with the wrong gun. Once you get onto it you'll be hooked. Good luck.

Well, if you don't mind the single trigger, then i would opt for the Lyman trade rifle. But i still think you will be happier in the long run if you get the Great Plains rifle for a little more from Midsouth.

I have had several Traditions and several Lymans.
The price on the trade rifle is right on and it is one great shooter. You will not be sorry for getting that rifle.
Send me a PM on where you live, I think we live fairly close to each other and next weekend, the 17th I am hosting a shoot with our group, maybe you can do the drive and get a first hand taste of a woodswalk. let me know

either of the 2 lymans your looking at have a much better lock than the traditions, go with a lyman, I hear the deerstalker is fine hunting rifle.

Hi,
I too am from sw PA and I got into flinting this year. I spent about $350 bucks to get started. I bought a Traditions PA Pellet from D&R Sports online for $230. I got the camo/nickel option. I am very happy with it both looks and function. I only shoot loose powder out of it though as pellets in a flint are unreliable. I shoot 80 gr 777 and a 295 gr powerbelt HP. You have some work ahead of you to get ready for even the late season. I got my gun in April and didn't get all squared away and proficient till about August. Get a nice tool box with a handle to carry all your stuff in and to store it all.
Good luck

Latest posts

Back