• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtobias470

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first flintlock. The TC Firestorm in stainless is one on my list to check out. Any comments on this or any others? I have hve been hearing that TC is a good manufacturer. I am partial to the stainless model, I work in the mill that supplies the stainless to TC. Thanks, Toby

Toby i would suggest a standard hawken model over the firestorm the desigh of the rifle puts your main charge farther away from your priming powder
than on a standard model resulting in delayed ignition I experimented with perc. model and had several hangfires T/C makes excellant quality products otherwise
weasel

I use several TC Hawkens in various calibers, both percussion and flintlock.
I pefer the Hawken style over the firestorm, but will tell you that TC has got it right now with their flintlock & vent liner design...all their current production flintlocks are 100% reliable, very fast, and very accurate.

Personally, I'd recommend a .54 caliber Hawken style and shoot patched round balls in it, (or at least a .50cal).
And I also strongly suggest if you buy one, that you specify you want it with a regular barrel, NOT one of the barrels with the "QLA" false
muzzle built into the end of it.

[ [email protected] ]

I would have to agree that there is little advantage in a stainless gun, BP is not really a hard thing to keep clean and in good working order with regular steel guns...as to what particular type of flintlock, you will need to decide whether you want one that is considered in the replica/historicaly correct class or something else, this decision will go a long ways in determining your options.

I can think of a disadvantage to a stainless muzzleloader, spooking game by the shiny barrel.

It's bad enough the brass catches the sun light, why add to the reflective signature.

But, aren't we humans mesmerized by shiny things?
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Wal I'm a'thinkin if'n he wants stainless kuz he works at the place a'makin that stuff he orter go on 'n get it.
Iffen it's like the one in Dixie it orter have a 1:48 twist (fer the flinter) so it oter shoot round balls just fine.
Course if'n he does use um I don't know what why he would need to pour 150 grains o' powder down the bore for but Dixie says she'll take it.

Dixie says she's got a 26 inch barrel 'n iff'n thats true I guess I might jus' say if'n Toby's a shootin round ball, 'bout anythin over 90 grains wal just make a big flash out o the end o' the barrel. 'Ats' Cuz blackpowder burns kinda slow so after ye reach a certain amount dependen on the barrel length by the time all of it's a'burnen the ball is gone.

Main thin is Toby's a buyin more black powder 'n a flinter to boot!!!!

Back