• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot a Lyman GPR for several years in .54 and the only reason I got rid of it was to upgrade. Believe me, another $600.00 didn't make a bit of difference in the accuracy. I shot a 100 gr. FFg load under a round ball and it didn't bother me, however, for matches I definitely dropped to 60 grs.. I always recommend the Lyman. I thought it was a great value.

Vic

Hey KB, Having used several twist rates over the years , I'll put my nickels worth in here too. I find that the granulation of powder behind the ball has a lot of bearing on how they shoot. I shoot a 1 in 48 twist .60 caliber that drove me up the wall when I first started shooting it...all kinds of flyers and weird things happening....Finally found that it would accept 2f powder only...587 ball and thick ticking. 80 grains of Goex. Dang thing started one holing the targets for me and brought me a national championship in '78, and several surrounding state titles. Slower twist barrels seem a bit easier to dope out. I like long barrels and slow twist...and experiment with different granulations and amounts of powder. I also find that a smaller ball and thicker ticking solves many problems. If you have specific questions, I am at [email protected] (when you can catch me )

I might also add that the above stated load put a round ball through the front of a buffalo skull at 40 yards and went on out the back to stop 3-4 inches down in the neck tissue. She hit the ground where she stood. Michael Rowe (KIWI) of Caywood Enterprises and Quality Locks, was to be my backup on this shot if needed

Hey 2>+o>+o,
Shooting buffalo with a flinter is a story I'm sure most of us would like to here more about.
Pleeeease.......
Al

Latest posts

Back