• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New friction folder...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nifeman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi fellers, here is a new friction folder hot off the grill. It has a 1084 HC blade and a mesquite handle and brass pins. OA it is 5 1/4" with a 2 1/4" blade. Hope y'all like it...Bud
frict.jpg

frict2.jpg

Thanks, yep including the knot. Don't know how it'll hold up. It's pretty bittle wood. Got it in a bag of smokin' chunks :winking: ...Bud

That mesquite is tough tangled grain wood, much like elm and osage orange. It should hold up just fine. Ya did good on that knife, I really like the blade shape, that is an optimum shape for general use, and especially good for field dressing. The drop point does not snag guts.

Mesquite is supposed to be a close relative of locust, which I've used for handles and such. Locust is a good tough wood, even though it grows really fast. Kind of a weed tree some places.

mesquite should hold up real well.
I have made a few ink pens from mesquite on my lathe about 1 year ago and they are still being used today.

Nice looking knife Bud. Sorta fun to make? Now you need to have your misses make one of her fancy pouch sheaths for it. :hatsoff:

Joe

Joe Yanta said:
Nice looking knife Bud. Sorta fun to make? Now you need to have your misses make one of her fancy pouch sheaths for it. :hatsoff:

Joe
Thanks everybody. Yes I think I'm going to have her make some sheaths for my folders. Made a little slip joint yesterday...Bud

Back