• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New from Virginia - where do I start?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahcollier

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello. I just acquired a .50 Cal Hawken repro rifle. I've loaded and fired percussion cap muzzleloaders before, but never owned one and need some advice. I intend to hunt white tail deer in muzzleloader season in Virginia. Some questions:
1) What kind of powder do I need and where do I get it?
2) How much powder do I use per shot? (when I did this before, someone else handed me the cartridge).
3) Where do I get projectiles? What kind should I use? Can I use a Minnie Ball?
4) What accessories do I really need to get started?

Thanks, Andy

Welcome from New York State's Central-Leatherstocking region.

FFg Blackpowder. There are substitutes but I've never tried them.

www.powderinc.com is one source. There are others. Call around to your local sporting goods stores to save the $25 HazMat fee.

Track of the Wolf for round balls and other shapes. Round balls are fine out to 100 yards. You'll likely want 0.490" balls.

A powder measure (blackpowder is measured by volume. I use 90 gr FFg in my .50. Yours may do better from 80 to 90 gr or so. A way to carry the powder: horn, flask, pre-measured chargers, etc. A seperate cleaning rod is nice but optional. Patching material (also Track of the Wolf or mattress tic from a fabric store. Lube: saliva, a factory mix, Crisco (contains salt), other lubes. There are hundreds. You'll also want a cleaning jag and a means to pull the ball. Screw jag, CO2 blower, etc. Maybe a knife to cut patches (or you can pre-cut them at home). You don't use patching with Minié balls. #11 percussion caps (TOTW or local sporting goods stores). That's about it. A short starter is handy but choking up on the last 6" of the rammer will do for most loads unless you go really tight.

Also handy to have a nipple wrench and a spare nipple to fit your rifle. You want to make sure it is the proper thread size. You mention "Repro" but not the manufacturer or country. European repros use metric threads.

Last edited:
Welcome from Potter County, PA.

Stumpkiller pretty much nailed what you’ll need.

This forum has many helpful folks who can point you in the right direction.

Some of them even make and sell top quality powder horns, bags, priming horns, knives, etc.

Check out the shooting accessories forum.

Personal experiences as well as opinions vary. Some like more powder than others. Some prefer conical bullets while others prefer round balls. Some like Chevy better than Ford. Others prefer brunettes over blonds.

Okay. I have been hunting deer, black bear, and wild pigs for over 30 years with a .50 longrifle. Not a Hawken, as you have, but a .50 nonetheless.
I use my muzzleloader through all the hunting seasons, muzzleloader as well as regular gun. (Think about it. You've surely heard of the .45/70 cartridge. Well, think .50/70 without a cartridge.) I use nothing else because I love the challenge of getting close to the game and using the old-style firearms.
My hunting load is 70 grains of 3F real black powder, under a patched .490 lead round ball. I keep all my shots at big game under 75 yards. On a broadside shot, my round ball (176 grains) easily passes completely through a deer.

I have never used any of the synthetic powder substitutes, but I understand that real black powder is difficult to find in many places, so you may not have much of a choice. With a percussion gun, it is my understanding that the substitute powders work fine. However, with a flintlock, in order to get reliable ignition, you need real black powder. The substitutes do not work well with flintlocks because they need a hotter spark than what flint and steel make to set them off. I have both a percussion and a flintlock .50 longrifles and use the same hunting load in both of them.

You will need a powder horn or flask, unless you choose the modern method of carrying individual loads in some plastic container. UGH - uncool.
You will need a powder measure. NEVER pour powder directly from your horn into the muzzle of the gun. Always use a powder measure.
You will need some attachments for your ramrod or a range rod. Range rods are stronger than a wooden ramrod, often being of steel or some other metal. Range rods are an addition, not a replacement for a ramrod.
For this you will need a ball puller, patch puller, and a jag. A breech scraper can come in handy at times, also, when cleaning the weapon - unless you have one of those awful "patent breeches."
A nipple pick for clearing the hole through the rifle's nipple.
Round balls or conical bullets, plus patching material and some form of lubrication on the patches. (if you're not out in freezing weather, a simple spit patch generally works fine.)

You will have to do a lot of shooting and experimenting in order to work up the specific load that your particular rifle likes best.
There is a plethora of information on this website about all of this. Take your time, read, and learn.

www.powderinc.com is one source. There are others. Call around to your local sporting goods stores to save the $25 HazMat fee.

Track of the Wolf for round balls and other shapes. Round balls are fine out to 100 yards. You'll likely want 0.490" balls.

A powder measure (blackpowder is measured by volume. I use 90 gr FFg in my .50. Yours may do better from 80 to 90 gr or so. A way to carry the powder: horn, flask, pre-measured chargers, etc. A seperate cleaning rod is nice but optional. Patching material (also Track of the Wolf or mattress tic from a fabric store. Lube: saliva, a factory mix, Crisco (contains salt), other lubes. There are hundreds. You'll also want a cleaning jag and a means to pull the ball. Screw jag, CO2 blower, etc. Maybe a knife to cut patches (or you can pre-cut them at home). You don't use patching with Minié balls. #11 percussion caps (TOTW or local sporting goods stores). That's about it. A short starter is handy but choking up on the last 6" of the rammer will do for most loads unless you go really tight.

Also handy to have a nipple wrench and a spare nipple to fit your rifle. You want to make sure it is the proper thread size. You mention "Repro" but not the manufacturer or country. European repros use metric threads.
Thank you so much. This is very helpful.

The man who sold me the gun said his uncle built it. I didn't inspect it too closely but the barrel was stamped "Italy." Not sure the manufacturer, but will check that out.

I spend a fair amount of time in the Syracuse area for work. It's beautiful. It seems like outside of NYC, most of New York is a lot like Western Pennsylvania or Virginia/West Virginia.

Personal experiences as well as opinions vary. Some like more powder than others. Some prefer conical bullets while others prefer round balls. Some like Chevy better than Ford. Others prefer brunettes over blonds.

Okay. I have been hunting deer, black bear, and wild pigs for over 30 years with a .50 longrifle. Not a Hawken, as you have, but a .50 nonetheless.
I use my muzzleloader through all the hunting seasons, muzzleloader as well as regular gun. (Think about it. You've surely heard of the .45/70 cartridge. Well, think .50/70 without a cartridge.) I use nothing else because I love the challenge of getting close to the game and using the old-style firearms.
My hunting load is 70 grains of 3F real black powder, under a patched .490 lead round ball. I keep all my shots at big game under 75 yards. On a broadside shot, my round ball (176 grains) easily passes completely through a deer.

I have never used any of the synthetic powder substitutes, but I understand that real black powder is difficult to find in many places, so you may not have much of a choice. With a percussion gun, it is my understanding that the substitute powders work fine. However, with a flintlock, in order to get reliable ignition, you need real black powder. The substitutes do not work well with flintlocks because they need a hotter spark than what flint and steel make to set them off. I have both a percussion and a flintlock .50 longrifles and use the same hunting load in both of them.

You will need a powder horn or flask, unless you choose the modern method of carrying individual loads in some plastic container. UGH - uncool.
You will need a powder measure. NEVER pour powder directly from your horn into the muzzle of the gun. Always use a powder measure.
You will need some attachments for your ramrod or a range rod. Range rods are stronger than a wooden ramrod, often being of steel or some other metal. Range rods are an addition, not a replacement for a ramrod.
For this you will need a ball puller, patch puller, and a jag. A breech scraper can come in handy at times, also, when cleaning the weapon - unless you have one of those awful "patent breeches."
A nipple pick for clearing the hole through the rifle's nipple.
Round balls or conical bullets, plus patching material and some form of lubrication on the patches. (if you're not out in freezing weather, a simple spit patch generally works fine.)

You will have to do a lot of shooting and experimenting in order to work up the specific load that your particular rifle likes best.
There is a plethora of information on this website about all of this. Take your time, read, and learn.
Thank you for the reply and the advice. I'm certainly embarking on an esoteric adventure! I'm a new hunter and have enjoyed hunting with a modern bolt action .308, but this seems a lot more challenging (and sportsman-like), and I'm a big fan of tradition and am digging the traditional aspect of it.

Latest posts

Back