• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New from Virginia - where do I start?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, Andy. In what part of VA do you live?
I live in Northern VA, DC suburbs, but we own some property near Manassas, VA that has a lot of deer on it. Unfortunately, that county (Prince William) does not allow hunting with centerfire due to crowding/encroachment. Shotgun slugs don't seem all that great a way to kill deer, and the VA black powder season is a lot longer. I acquired this rifle at a very affordable price. The man who sold it to me practically gave it away, so here I am trying to learn!

Hello. I just acquired a .50 Cal Hawken repro rifle. I've loaded and fired percussion cap muzzleloaders before, but never owned one and need some advice. I intend to hunt white tail deer in muzzleloader season in Virginia. Some questions:
1) What kind of powder do I need and where do I get it?
2) How much powder do I use per shot? (when I did this before, someone else handed me the cartridge).
3) Where do I get projectiles? What kind should I use? Can I use a Minnie Ball?
4) What accessories do I really need to get started?

Thanks, Andy
Typically round balls shoot best. 3F black powder and percussion(#11) caps(try to purchase locally); adjustable powder measure; some sort of flask to carry powder; 'possibles' bag to carry all the 'stuff'; patches or patch material. Thicknesses vary and finding the right combination is the 'challenge'. Track of The Wolf (dot com) is probably the best source. Check U-Tube for informative, how to videos.
MAKE SMOKE💥

Hello from Buckingham Va. I’m couple of hours south of you. I use 70gr. of black powder and .490 patched ball with great results hunting and target shooting. You can order round balls from Track of The Wolf. Clark Brothers sporting goods is not far from you they have sold black powder in the past can’t say if they do now but give them a call it would be worth a try. Welcome and good luck!

Howdy from East Tennessee!

My advice to new muzzleloader shooters is to S L O W D O W N when loading and shooting. The dry ball will come soon enough.

Hello. I just acquired a .50 Cal Hawken repro rifle. I've loaded and fired percussion cap muzzleloaders before, but never owned one and need some advice. I intend to hunt white tail deer in muzzleloader season in Virginia. Some questions:
1) What kind of powder do I need and where do I get it?
2) How much powder do I use per shot? (when I did this before, someone else handed me the cartridge).
3) Where do I get projectiles? What kind should I use? Can I use a Minnie Ball?
4) What accessories do I really need to get started?

Thanks, Andy
Welcome.. what part of VA are you form..I live in RVA and can point you in the direction for a local supplier

It always starts with just one gun....

"Well, I need powder and caps. and a short starter... Boy, that shooting bag looks really nice! Hmm, maybe I can make my own powder horn..... Gee, wouldn't it be great if I had a pistol to match my rifle! Wow, that smoothbore is cool, and I need a shooting bag for it too.... You know, I haven't tried a flintlock yet...."

Welcome to the dark side 😈

Hello from Buckingham Va. I’m couple of hours south of you. I use 70gr. of black powder and .490 patched ball with great results hunting and target shooting. You can order round balls from Track of The Wolf. Clark Brothers sporting goods is not far from you they have sold black powder in the past can’t say if they do now but give them a call it would be worth a try. Welcome and good luck!
Welcome from Bend Creek VA.

Latest posts

Back