• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Green Mountain Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After cleaning my barrels with hot soapy water I've got into the habit of a few strokes with a phosphobronze bore brush followed by another wet patch or two. Sometimes this takes out/loosens things then jag/patch does not get to and only adds another minute to clean up time. This way I'm sure there is no buildup of residue and the bore is spotless.

Mad Professor said:
"...a few strokes with a phosphobronze bore brush..."
"...This way I'm sure there is no buildup of residue and the bore is spotless..."
That's the key...clean it every time back down to the factory, bare raw metal bore condition

roundball said:
That's the key...clean it every time back down to the factory, bare raw metal bore condition

But, horror of horrors, won't you remove the seasoning? :rotf: :rotf:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
J.D.

J.D. said:
roundball said:

But, horror of horrors, won't you remove the seasoning? :rotf: :rotf:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
J.D.
Now you're geting it...that's the whole point...I use modern made steel barrels, not old cast iron ones...I don't allow any buildup whatsoever in my bores...if you let bore butter residue build up in a bore then sooner or later it'll usually affect accuracy.

IMO, TC has always made good quality muzzleloaders for the money but a couple positions they took in the early years, like "seasoning bores" and like "laying a fuse to the main charge" were well intended but off the mark.

Good Morning All,

In response to Roundball, I completely concur and can only say "Ditto".

And Roundball's post applies to a number of other barrels I have used over the years.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Rebel said:
You don't need to season a 1-48" twist barrel, everyone knows they aren't accurate anyway. :rotf:

Everyone knows the cause of poor accuracy in 1-48 twists is the ball skipping the rifling!!! :rotf: :rotf:

That's why I use conicals in my 1 in 48! Those expensive conicals come pre-lubed with that magic bore butter, and I don't wipe between shots either!

After 2 or 3 sighters, the bore fouls enough to stop the blow-by and the groups just tighten-up! Ah the magic of chapstick, and you can eat it too! :rotf: :shocked2:

Bore butter for everybody! For Earth Day I celebrated by pumping some lead into the ground :rotf: :rotf: :) .

All the best, Dave

Latest posts

Back