• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Green Mt. barrel, need much break-in?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Ordered a new barrel, Green Mt. .54 fast twist to shoot conicals. Has anyone experience with these? What I'm wondering is there much of a break-in period or are things accurate out of the box?

Why I ask is I'd run some cheap lead through it instead of using up my hunting bullets on break-in.

Plan on using Hornaday 425gr, suggested load is 105g FFg. Anyone shot same barrel/loads, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.....

Mad Professor,
Can't say anything about your fast twist
GM barrel as i only shoot RB but i do have several of there slow twist(1/66 and 1/72) barrels. My experience
with my barrels has been that they don't settle down until
somewhere between 75 and 100 rounds, and some will say 150
to 200. I will say this that once seasoned GM are IMO
outstanding, even though they are made by Knight.
snake-eyes

Snake Eyes, unless Knight moved to Conway NH or bought out the the company I believe what is going on is Green Mountain makes Knight's barrels. I have visited the plant in Conway and there is no Knight sign anywhere.

Green Mountain has also made barrels for T/C. Which BTW is only about 40 miles away from the GMBC.

I am blessed to have done phone work in both plants.

Professor,

Here is a link to break-in information from Ernie Stallman of Badger Barrels. According to him, it's important to not let the barrel heat up during the break-in until the memory is set. Otherwise the barrel will "walk" as it heats up and the POA will change.

Badger Barrels

Scroll halfway down the page to get to the break-in information.

Jimbo

Professor,

Here is a link to break-in information from Ernie Stallman of Badger Barrels. According to him, it's important to not let the barrel heat up during the break-in until the memory is set. Otherwise the barrel will "walk" as it heats up and the POA will change.

Badger Barrels

Jimbo

That's interesting...

I had a brand new .50cal TC 1:66" round ball flint barrel that walked left beyond the adjustment range of the rear sight as it heated up...let it cool down and it printed back over to the right...sent it back to TC and they replaced it.

Never had another barrel do that and I always shot them the same way as far as any break in period was concerned.

Professor,

Badger Barrels

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo. Some interesting information on that link useful for cartridge rifles too. Windex contains ammoinia so I guess that cuts copper fouling also besides removing oily deposits.

I remember my first bp rifle not shooting real good until ~40-50 rds were put through it and really needing to clean between each shot, then cleaning was easier and much less fouling. Even remember getting the jag/patch stuck a few times and having to shoot the ramrod out using a pinch of powder put in the nipple hole. Hope this one takes less work but it will be good practice getting used to the gun.

Back