• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Guy Checking In

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worker11811

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings, muzzleloaders!
I've been checking out your forum for a couple of days. It's nice to be here!

Mostly, I shoot smallbore .22 cal. silhouettes but I have several other guns that I shoot as well. I just came into my first muzzle loader.

On Christmas, I bought my stepfather some kit for his kaboodle. He hunts with a muzzle loader (T/C Hawken .50 cal. flintlock) so I got him some muzzle loading stuff. Powder, pan primer, pick & brush, etc.

Since muzzle loader season starts right after Christmas, he decided to go out back and shoot. We had a lot of fun. After we were done, we went back inside and cleaned up. The next day, I mentioned to him that I had so much fun that I was thinking of going out and buying myself a flintlock.

He said, "No! Don't do that!" After which, he marched straight to his gun closet and came back with a T/C Renegade! "Here!" he said, "You can shoot this one."

So, here in the corner, stands a Thompson/Center Renegade flintlock in .58 cal.

Never been fired! Never even had powder in the pan!

I took it down to the basement and scrubbed all the cosmoline out of it and I think I'm ready to go. I used castile soap and hot water, hot as I could stand, and a gazillion patches of flannel cut from old work shirts.

I've got powder and bullets and all the things I think I need. I'm nearly ready to go out and sight it in and work up a load.

So, I'm here to read and get as many pointers as I can before I go out and make fire.

I've been shooting guns all my life, since I was a kid but I've never had a muzzle loader of my own before. I've shot with other people so I know the process. I've just not shot 100% by myself before.

I'm just the kind of guy who likes to read up and learn all he can before he goes out for live fire.

So you like to read :hmm: Well, this is the place :thumbsup: I would strongly suggest that you read as many of the posts in the flintlock rifle section as possible. Try to read with an open mind and understand that what works for one person or many persons may not work for you. Some folks can feel very strongly about a subject, even lead to personal comments that shouldn't have been made. One example would be the lead wrap vs leather wrap for flints. I've tried both and find no great difference between either. I use both and the jury is still out on which one I will probably end up using. Next year I may have decided and will probably consider my choice the only logical and sound one to be made BUT until then, I'll probably keep on using which ever is handy or available at the time. Another example is patch lube. Some folks swear by Wonderlube 1000+/Bore Butter, others like Stumpkiller's Moose Milk/Juice. I prefer Moose Milk/Juice but I do every now and then use patches lubed with Wonderlube (mainly just to get rid of them :rotf: ) My point is if you ask a question, you might get 10 answers and all ten may be different. Not wrong, just different. It will be up to YOU to determine what will work for you and your gun. And what works for one gun may not work for another, even of the make and model. And if it hits you like so many others, you'll have another, maybe not right away, but you'll have another. Good luck, happy new year and enjoy the ride!

First of all welcome to the forum. :hatsoff: Second of all you came to the right place. There is a wealth of knowledge from some of the long time members here. Like was said before do lots of reading, don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be scared to do a little experimenting on your own. What works for another won't necessarily work for you but it will certainly give you a starting point.

Have fun and be safe.

Most likely you are going to find that gun has the OLD T/C lock in it. The angle of the flint to the frizzen is not good, and you may have ignition problems. If you send the lock back to T/C, they will replace it with a new lock, that shoots like all get-out. I have not seen one complaint about the hew T/C flint lock, and almost everyone here who shoots them, loves them.

YOu probably DON'T have everything you need to load shoot and clean that new gun. Here's a list:

1. Range Rod: This is a rod separate from what comes with the gun. They care made of steel, aircraft aluminum, Brass, and Brass tubing. They have handles on them, and are fitted with the proper size jags, and brushes to clean and load the barrel. The Handle is needed for when you join the ' Dry Baller's Club ". It is not a question of " IF " you join; only " When ". And most of have joined several times, and expect to join again even though we have been doing this for 30 years and should have learned by now. You want to invest in a good ball pulling jag, and you might as well also buy a patch pulling jag.

2. Brush
3. Ball pulling Jag
4. patch Pulling jag.

5. Powder measure- you really need an adjustable powder measure so that you can work up a load that shots accurate. I prefer the kind that has a funnel attached to the trunk of the measure on a pivot, so that I can simple tip the measure with the funnel in the muzzle to pour my powder down the barrel. You can make a fixed measure from antler, or horn tips, or wood, or anything else you fancy after you work up a load.

6. You need some kind of range box to hold all the gear.

7. You will eventually need to have a hunting bag, to carry a lot of this stuff when you go hunting.

8. You want a good solvent/patch lube to use on your patches you wrap around the lead RB. Hoppe's Black Solve is good. So is Stumpy's Moose Milk, and that formula is found here under Member Resources at the top of the Index page. His Moose Snot is a great patch LUBE which is used separately by folks from the solvent/cleaner, which tend to be more liquid. You will want a bottle of rubbing alcohol for Sub Freezing cleaning chores if you shoot in the winter.

9. Try both FFg and FFFg powder in that gun. Sometimes the finer grained 3Fg powder works better in the big bores. No one knows why. You should find that FFg works best in the gun, however.

10 Powder charges: Using that huge 260 grain, .560 Round Ball, I find three loads listed in the Hodgdon reloading manual for PRB:

50 G. FFg = 884
60 Gr.FFg = 972
70 Gr.FFg = 1054

The rest of the loads are for shooting minie balls.

Since an ounce weights 437.5 grains, a 260 grain ball is a huge projectile. It doesn't have to be going fast out of the muzzle to be still going fast enough to completely penetrate a deer at 100 yds. Stick with the lighter loads for range work, until you find out exactly what load the gun shoots the best.

11. I recommend that you buy some Over Powder Wads, and use them to protect your patch from being burned in the barrel. These are inexpensive, but they contribute much to consistent burning of the powder charge, and therefore consistent velocity, and smaller groups. Accuracy is the name of the game with large balls, not velocity. Do some penetration testing with your gun to see how powerful even that light load is. Compare it to your father's gun, using his favorite load.

12. Recoil becomes a problem with large bore guns. BP does not usually kick you like smokeless powder, but it does shove you around. You will want to try shooting 100 grains, or 120, or even 150 grains of powder in that gun, and I guarantee you will know the difference. But I highly doubt that you will shoot the gun as accurately with such loads. Remember that you are shooting a ball that is larger in diameter when it enters a deer's hide, than most modern expanding bullets are when they exit the deer. Your RB is likely to expand to about .80 caliber in a deer on a broadside shot, before exiting. Sometimes it will expand even larger. It does not take a lot of velocity to get a pure lead ball to expand. That ball leaves a huge primary wound channel, and deer do not run far when hit with that size ball. The gun and a PRB are capable of killing at much longer ranges. The only question is are you capable of holding the sights well enough to hit a deer at longer ranges using the sights on the gun. T/C makes a peep sight that you might want to use on the gun for hunting.

13. You need a vent pick to clean that vent, and to poke a hole in the primary powder charge. You can use an ordinary pipe cleaner for these tasks, or make your own pick from a piece of coat hanger. Make a loop at one end for a handle, and some way to tie the pick to your bag. Then hammer or file a rounded point that is narrow enough to enter the vent, and go all the way across the bore. If you have a propane torch, you can make it fancy, by hammering the wire square, then twisting it with one end held in your vies, and the other in some visegrips or pliers, while red hot. This makes a decorative pick. You can heat weld the loop. I even make a heart shaped loop on one pick and heat welded the end to the shaft to close the loop. If you drop the hot pick into oil it will turn the surface a rich black. You can buy picks from suppliers, but making your own is fun.

13. You probably will want a pouring spout for the can of powder. Suppliers sell lids with cartridge casing soldered to them, to act as a spout and funnel. You can do this yourself if you have the soldering equipment.

14. Powder horn. You can buy them, or make them. We flintlock shooters here have pretty much decided that we don't need to use FFFFg Priming Powder in the guns, and can make do with whatever powder we use in the main charge. There is no reason to have both a powder horn for your main charge powder, and a smaller, separate priming horn. I have them, and still use them, but if and when I use up my FFFFg priming powder, I will retire the priming horn to the range box, to be used only to help out shooters who have dry-balled their rifles or can't get their percussion rifles to go off, and need to put some fine powder under the nipple to shoot the load or ball out of the barrel. A pound of FFFg powder lasts a long time. If you want to try some, find someone at the range or club who already has some, and buy a small container full of the stuff. Even an ounce of the stuff is going to last a lot of shots, figuring 2-3 grains of priming powder per shot.

15: Cleaning patches -- Cotton flannel, or pocket drill, or muslin works best.

16. Patch material for wrapping that lead round ball. It comes in various thicknesses, measured with either a micrometer or caliper. PIllow ticking can be bought by the yard at Walmart, and most fabric stores. So can pocket drill, muslin, linen. Before ordering any, buy a sample packet from a supplier( see the links at the top of the index page)so you can try various thicknesses with whatever diameter ball you use, and see what works the best. If you use the OP Wads, to seal the gases behind the PRB, you can usually use a thinner patch for easy loading than if you don't use the OP wad.

17. Short starter. T/C sells a dandy of a short starter, with a bore protector and a nice round ball for a handle to save your hand as you smack the starter on the PRB to seat it in the barrel. I made my own short starter out of deer antler, but I have to confess I prefer using that T/C short starter more.

18. Plug scraper: If you are one of these guys who insists on seeing how many shots you can fire without cleanin the barrel, then you will need to buy a jag that has a blade on the front of it to scrape the crud build up on the face of your breechplug. It looks like an oversized screwdriver blade made of brass, or soft steel. You run it down the barrel to the breechplug, and twist it to scrape through and scrape off the crud. I found that if I use alcohol to remove all oils and greases from the barrel put there for storing the gun, before going shooting, and then clean between shots, I don't get a crud build up unless the humidity is simply horrible that day.Then after 20 shots I may have a build up that requires attention. Normally, Moose milk loosens it enough to come out with cleaning patches. In more than 30 years of shooting, I believe I have used my scraper exactly once! That is why this is at the bottom of my list, and not up there with the other jags.

Read, read, read. There are some articles in the Member resources on shooting flintlocks that may help you with some ideas, too.

19. Obviously, you need a supply of flints. If you can get to Friendship, or one of the larger rendezvous, you will find suppliers selling flints in volume. That is how to get the best prices. If you order them from a supplier tell them the name and model of the gun( T/C Renegade) and they will tell you the correct size flint to buy.

If you have more questions, ask. That is why we are here.

Welcome to the " Dark Side " of flintlock shooting. It more a disease than a life style, much less only a choice of firearms. Other shooters will think you are nuts for shooting flint, until they see how well you can shoot. Then, you will never remember having so many friends! :hatsoff:

so since paul covered all topics of what ya need...all I can say is " renegade .58 Drool "
you struck GOLD.
Welcome to THE FORUM. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that post Paul. This site is a gold mine for "newbies" like me who have never shot a flinter before.

Just a quick bio about myself: I am a theater technician and a movie projectionist... The FILM kind who works in a REAL theater, not one of those wussy digital video geeks. I think digital video is cool but it will NEVER be able to touch the quality of real film. Never!

Consequently, I don't mind tinkering. I even LIKE to tinker. I like to experiment just for the sake of knowledge. I think this is a major reason why I'm looking forward to shooting a flintlock.

I drive a car with a 5-speed manual transmission. I've never owned a car with an automatic tranny and I firmly believe that every 16 year old kid should be required to take his driver's test in a car with a manual transmission, even if he will be driving an automatic when he gets his license.

And, finally, I keep a bottle of Tobasco sauce on the dining table right next to the salt and pepper shaker. Hot sauce goes good on almost everything but ice cream. :wink:

I have a range rod. It's a solid aluminum rod with black hard coat finish. I never use a wood, fiberglass rod. If it breaks while your're cleaning or ramming, you could end up with a wrist full of splinters. Plus, I have learned from shooting modern rifles. Rods with soft surfaces can get dirt or metal particles embedded in them and carry that dirt into the barrel where it will damage the bore. An aluminum rod is softer than the steel barrel and won't scratch it. The hard finish (anodized or powder coated) surface won't get particles embedded in it. I have the rubber handle for the end and I have a brass jag and a bullet puller. I have yet to find a patch worm that fits my rod. (Wrong thread.)

I already got powder, measures and a primer, etc. My stepdad has extras. Will be using Goex powder. FFg and FFFFg. (Made in Pennsyltucky, doncha' know! Gotta' be loyal! :wink: )

I believe I'm going to stick to manufacturer-recommended balls, patches and lubes for the time being. And, in terms of procedure, I will stick to what the book that came with the gun says. The gun has not been shot before and I'm still a greenhorn. If there is a problem and something bad happens, I want to be able to say that I did EVERYTHING according to the directions given by the manufacturer.

Once I get a couple-few trips to the range under my belt... THEN... I can start experimenting. Until then, I want to go by the book as much as is reasonably possible.

Finally, since it was brought up, I've got a question about the lock. Seems like I'm having trouble coming up with the screw that holds the flint in place. (Called the "cock screw"?)
I'll need a new one and it seems to be an odd size. T/C has been closed for the holliday so I haven't been able to get hold of anybody there to ask.

I'll start another topic on that so we don't get our threads all muddled up.

Thanks, you guys! All of you!
I think I have found the right place! :thumbsup:

If you are shooting a T/C flintlock, by all means contact the company to buy a replacement cockscrew. I don't know how anyone messed up a cockscrew, but it obviously has happened with this gun. Even with a T/C, barrel, you will have to determine if the gun will shoot better using a .015, .018, or .020" thick patch. One of them will work, for sure, but the question is always, which one?

I think you will like the gun. Stay in touch and let us know if we can help. We have several serious T/C experts here, and I can't imagine any question you might have that they can't answer.

I have a quick follow up question. When you mean "clean after every couple of shots" do you mean run a patch soaked in alcohol down the barrell to remove the fouling and then 2 dry ones? How extensive is this cleaning at the range?

One thought to keep in mind with a T/C is that the breech is a patent breech. The part that threads into the barrel is smaller than the bore diameter. The bore sized cleaning jag will only push fouling into the patent breech chamber and you will have problems getting the gun to fire. You will want a small brush of either .22 or .30 caliber to clean the patent breech chamber. This is really only a problem when you shoot a lot and wipe the bore fairly often.

You hit the beginner lottery! Lots of info and a very sweet gun.
I run a spit patch on the wet side, then on the other side. Then I run a dry patch on both sides.
Not in a hurry to shoot, and accurate loading actually takes concentration. I walked to the rope behind the line and greeted one of my buddies over at Dupo. He greeted me and got to watching something else. I was walking away when his gun went off and I knew from the sound something was wrong. The club said they were going to have his ramrod mounted! It was in one piece, but it will never be straight again!
Go slow and you will be hopelessly addicted in a very short time! Welcome home!

Hey! I finally got to take the gun out to the range! :)

It took me a while to get all the parts I needed. T/C was on shutdown for the holidays so it took me a while to get them ordered. But they finally came last week. This was the first time I had the day off from work so I couldn't get out to shoot until today.

I put over 40 rounds through it. I only screwed up one time and, once I got the procedure fixed in my mind, things went pretty smoothly.

I didn't get real anal with the sighting-in just yet. I discovered that it does take time to get used to shooting a flintlock when you are used to shooting .22 cal. rimfire all the time. I figured it would be better just to get the sights roughed in and wait until I've had more practice before I fine tune the sight.

I was using the round tops from empty soup cans as targets. (Approx. 3 1/2 inches dia.) Offhand, I can hit 2 or 3 times out of 5 from the 25 yard mark. With a .22 rimfire I can hit a golf ball at 50 yards. (Golf ball = about 1 1/2 inches dia.)
Even though I didn't shoot up to my usual standards I'm still fairly satisfied with my performance. It's an unfamiliar gun. It'll take more time to get used to it. I've also got to admit, it was pretty cold outside to be doing serious target shooting. (20º F. & light snow flurries.)

All that being said, the moral of the story is that I probably wouldn't have done as well as I did if I hadn't found this place first. Having the chance to read up and study beforehand really made the difference!

So, thanks for all your advice! You guys really helped a lot! :thumbsup:

I'm sure I'll have another 9,000,000 qustions for you before long! ;)

Thanks again!

Don't know if it was mentioned in the above posts, but safty glasses are always a good idea.

Required equipment at the club where I shoot.

According to club rules, you're not even supposed to go past the gate without them.
(Although, most guys don't put them on until they get to their shooting bench.) You probably won't get kicked out for not wearing them but you'll certainly get an "I told you so!" if anything happens.

I keep a pair of shooting glasses in my range bag. There are always two sets of foam ear plugs stored in an empty medicine bottle in my bag too.

Something I noticed... The report from a muzzle loader doesn't seem to be nearly as loud as a modern rifle. Don't you think?
It kind of goes against intuition. Wouldn't you say so?

Blac powder don't have the sharp crack like smokless because it don't burn as fast. I think smokeless is all burned by 17 inches. Black is a lot slower, this doesn't mean it is not prowderful. One reason a lot of new people in the sport overload. The reason the smokless came into being was black was dirty and rusted the metal. People like not having to worry about cleaning there guns,unless they feel like it. (lazy) These people Are not good people to own black powder guns. You have to clean them ,period. Dilly

Gotta' agree with that!
BP guns are not for lazy people!

They certainly would be good for people with OCD! :wink:

Back