• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Haines Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruth is a fine rifle! Congratulations and good luck hunting! :thumbsup:

Nice looking Lancaster. And some extra touches with the muzzle work. :thumbsup: Is there some reason you can't mention the builder? GW

Grey Whiskers said:
And some extra touches with the muzzle work. :thumbsup:

I was just about to ask about the muzzle. I've never seen file work like that in the muzzle. Is it functional (I'm guessing it would work similar to coning to allow easier ball starting) or just for looks? Is the idea copied from an original rifle?

Something the builder suggested to me. I don't know if it is from an original rifle but it does make loading a little bit easier. I've used a short starter in the past most times but it's easy to load this rifle without one. Works like a coned muzzle and I can pop the ball down a ways with just thumb pressure and use the ramrod. I've seen photos here and I've seen discussions indicating that accuracy is not effected by the coning.

Hello Finnwolf :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
awesome thank you so much for sharing her with us, what an awesome look she has...
my congrats a Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

Hi Dawg

Thanks for complimenting Ruth. The look she has is mostly the work the builder put into her. I know what I wanted is far less that the builder is capable of but she looks like I wanted her to look like. What a common guy like me might have carried 230 years ago. I never had use for a patchbox and all the carving and inlays seem too gentlemanly for me. I just held out for a good piece of wood and a quality kit. Then, after I knew I wasn't going to do her justice, I looked for a really good builder. Got all of 'em.

Those are sort of my sentiments, too. I never had much use for a patchbox and preferred unadorned guns. They are meant for use after all. Nice wood, well built and accurate; that's all one really needs for the field. Don't think I'd care to take a show piece into the woods anyhow. You got a fine rifle, my friend!

Thanks Hanshi.

If I hunt the way I always did, Ruth'll have a deer and a few scratches this season

CWC said:
Grey Whiskers said:
And some extra touches with the muzzle work. :thumbsup:

I was just about to ask about the muzzle. I've never seen file work like that in the muzzle. Is it functional (I'm guessing it would work similar to coning to allow easier ball starting) or just for looks? Is the idea copied from an original rifle?

Looks like some work I've seen on Mike Miller rifles.

Don't know how far back the muzzle treatment goes. The builder calledit a"hiney muzzle" and I know I've see pics of it before.

Back