• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New horn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember in my post, that I said you have to use un-coated steel wool. __ Some brands on the market have a protective rust additive, like oil or ? on it!

You want untreated/plain steel wool!

Rick is correct about untreated steel wool. Or you can put it in a fire safe container (steel bucket, outside) pour charcoal starter on it and light it off! Once the fire goes out the protective coating will be burnt off and it is good to go in the vinegar!

we think alike , i immediatly had put it in the gas fire place and got it cherry hot and then back into the cider vineger

I think mine is reddish brown from the potassium permanganate I used. Not sure as I am new to most of this. I would seek better advice from board member "horner 75". His horns look great.
Sean

Back