• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new hunting pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkthrower

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my copy of TC alberts book last week and thought I would show you the outcome.
The pouch is made from 4-5 oz veg tanned leather and dyed with vingeroon dye. It is a double hunting pouch with 1 1/2 in. gussets.
I would not recommend using leather this heavy because it was a real bear to turn right side out after I got done stitching.
This was my first try at using the vingeroon dye and it won't be the last.
Ron
doublepouch004.jpg

doublepouch001.jpg

doublepouch002.jpg

Boy, I bet you really did earn your keep reversing a double bag made from 4-5 oz! I'm with you on the stuff. It's 2.5-3 oz for me all the way.

I really like the detail sewing on the flap. The way it follows the contours is an excellent touch.

Nice work, and lots more to look forward to from your awl and needle! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments. Ya , about 10 minutes into fighting with this thing trying to turn it I decided to make a note on the wall of the shop. Just in case I ever want to try it again :youcrazy: :nono: :haha:

Very nice work Hawkthrower! :thumbsup: I made my first bag from the same type of leather.It is a bear to work with. Keep up the good work. :hatsoff:

Hawkthrower said:
I got my copy of TC alberts book last week and thought I would show you the outcome.
You made a good purchase. That's a fine looking bag, Ron, best I've seen for a while. Well done.

I would not recommend using leather this heavy because it was a real bear to turn right side out after I got done stitching.
I've used pigskin for my last two bag projects and found it to be easy to work with. It's medium weight and pretty flexible. I made my version of the double pouch and found it not such a problem to turn.

double_pouchD.jpg

This was my first try at using the vingeroon dye and it won't be the last.
That's very interesting. I never heard of vinegaroon dye, but I'm sure going to be trying it. I really like the look you wound up with. Thanks.

Spence

Very nice bag :bow:
But cmon Hawkthrower, Show us the horn that goes with it :wink:
Spence, thats a sweet bag too! :hatsoff:

Lone hunter I will probably pair the bag with one of my simple horn with just a little carving and the pick, brush, and measure shown. I carry my bag on the right and my horn on the left so I am waiting for the horn strap to dry so I can finish it.
Spence the vinager and iron ,or vinegaroon, dye smells to high heaven so don't do it in the house. :thumbsup: on that bag it looks great.
Ron

doublepouchset001.jpg

Ron, Nice bag friend!...I don't know how you turn bags inside out, but I found out that a heavy 1 1/2" hardwood dowel with one end rounded clamped up vertical in a vise works great, even on heavier leathers!

Rick

The thing for me, aside from any question of turning, is the "feel" of the bag. I just don't like heavy leather in bags. And loose stuff really rattles in a thicker bag, compared thin. It's all a "taste" thing, but I know what flavor I like best. :wink:

Love the stitching. That bag looks real. I use that vinegar dye (stain) on alot of my woodworking projects for different effects, but I never knew it had a name. Vinegaroon, I like that. Bill

You may be right about the wetness when I tried to turn it. I thought I had it wet enough but I didn't soak it very long.
I also like a softer leather for my bags. My favorite is made of 4-5 oz oil tanned and everyone calls it my suitcase because its 9 1/2 in. wide and 10 in. long. But its holds whatever I want it to and its been on many long hunts and lots of "voos" when I have had to hide all the plunder I bought :thumbsup:
Anyhow, thanks for all the kind words.
Ron

Latest posts

Back