• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesG

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This one is a mill file with full tang mesquite handle with copper and brass pins, the whole knife is 15 in long the handle is 5 in long the blade is little under 1 half wide comments please thanks you the wood is some from this winter i was surprised how pretty it look
kife04072.jpg

100_1517.jpg

100_1506.jpg

100_1503.jpg
comments please

I like it JamesG.
It looks real good.
Very professional.
Looks very P/C.
Would look a lot better in my hand. :v
Excellent work. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

That is a pretty handle.I also like the end of the knife :hatsoff:

Very nice indeed! I allus have liked mesquite wood on anything. :grin: I understand it is hard to work with though! :hmm:

Davy

Thanks everyone for the nice words. the mesquite is some what hard to work with but I have not used anythings elsa so I can not say.

Very nice, that's the best lookin file knife i've seen. I would be interested to hear about the heat treating and tempering if your willing to share.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland colorado

Its not that hard to work with.
I make ink pens out of it with no problems.
the grain really pops out at you after i have completed it on my lathe and its ready for assembly.

the knife looks good.
I still have a hard time with the knife blade looking unfinished. I know that the finished and polished blades that i am used to seeing are modern day and not pc.
it just looks unfinished to me.

Loyd I heat the blade inside of a pipe that i welded closed on one in , then I place the pipe charcoal forge with pleanty of wood and put the blade inside the pipe and them put a scrap of wood with the blade to help with decard,then put wood on the top and let it burn down tell the blade look right,I used mineral oil to harden,Then I either bake it in the oven with 400 degrees three times i let the blade cool inbewteen i can touch it bare hands ,or i use the little blow touch and water i run the flame over the blade tell it get the color your want the wanter you can use to get your blade blue on the back, sorry it so long, and if you would like some pictures to help i be glad to do that thanks for the nice words

Da_ _ I like that knife. Opps can't say that, but then guess I really didn't say it! :rotf: :rotf:
But I really do like it!
How did you do the quirly-Q on the end. That and the handle relly set it off! :bow: :bow:

If ypu would like i cam take pictures and show you how i do it might be simpler

Back