• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Loading Tips for Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNWMLB

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have hunted muzzleloader for over 30 years now beginning at the age of 12. My dad got me a 54 cal TC New Englander to start with when I was just a kid. In all my years of experience shooting lead conicals, I was always left with concerns of deforming my bullet. Several of these you would notice just after giving the bullet the initial tap with the ball starter. Whether it be the sharp brass cutting a ring into the nose of the lead conical . This led me to try several different tips through the years to no avail. So, I chose to develop and patent my own new loading tips designed to alleviate the issues that continue to be a problem in the muzzleloading industry. There is now a way to load bullets without deforming them as they are placed in the barrel and seated tightly on the powder charge.

I knew the tip would begin with a threaded brass cup that would couple to ramrods and ball starters available in the industry with 10-32 threads. As I developed the idea I looked for a pliable material that would withstand high heat, provided durability and would withstand the force applied during loading. I also needed a material that could be bonded to brass. After much research I chose neoprene as the material to make the tip of the loading tip. I looked at samples for different hardness associated with this material. I chose 70 durometer material to still allow flexibility and provide cushion during loading. As the idea developed I also chose to provide 2 different profiles to accept a wider variety of bullets. Also considered was the diameter of the tip. .432 was chosen to allow a universal approach that would work for 45 caliber and above. Please share your thoughts on the new loading tips pictured below. You will see both, standard and long range tips. yes these are Made in USA.🇺🇸

Long Range
IMG_6004.jpeg

IMG_6005.jpeg

Standard

IMG_6002.jpegIMG_6003.jpeg

IMG_6161.jpeg
IMG_6145.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A very cool gadget and one that will likely interest the folks having to reach-out beyond 100 yards when hunting in the West. Just be advised we don't discuss sabots, or jacketed ammo on The Forum, and inlines are also verboten.

Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

LD
Great! I don’t shoot jacketed or sabot ammo. Pure lead conicals for me! I make them in 45, 50, 52 and 54 calibers.

I think you have a marketable design there. I have no idea of the potential sales volume as some folks have to try anything new and some won't change no matter what. For myself, I don't punch paper in competition or shoot long range. As such, any nose issues loading my Maxis don't effect my "deer accuracy" so put me in the latter category. I do wish you luck.

This tip is interesting. I have been reading the NMLRA Book, "Loading and Shooting with the Champions" and I was reading the chapter on the bench rest rifles and the observations of Walter Grote, who established several NMLRA records in the 1940's. He used a two-part bullet. The base was basically a soft lead cylinder and the nose was a hard pointed bullet. The two parts were swaged together. The distance was 300 yards. Of course all was loaded through a false muzzle. What was important was his use of a flat faced loading rod. His observation of a loading jag with a tip sort of conforming to the shape of the nose of the bullet might offset the orientation of the nose.

I do find the loading tip offered by @PNWMLB very interesting as the neoprene would conform to the nose of the bullet and minimize deformation. This advanced construction would give the tip a better alignment with the bullet in the bore. The coned tip might grab on a ball and pull the ball of the powder. A tip that is concave to the circumference of a ball would be interesting also. If course that means extra care is required to keep the sprue up.

Interesting. Have you done accuracy comparisons? The same rifle at the same session?
Not yet. Just got the first articles last week. I’m getting ready for hunting season soon and I’m a man of a million projects so just before the rains hit out here I’m a busy man! Hopefully I will have some results soon. I shoot heavy lead and have always deformed the bullet with other tips. I wanted to make something that would insure bullets were not deformed on the way down. I’ll be shooting some of my guns soon with the new tips installed.

I have hunted muzzleloader for over 30 years now beginning at the age of 12. My dad got me a 54 cal TC New Englander to start with when I was just a kid. In all my years of experience shooting lead conicals, I was always left with concerns of deforming my bullet. Several of these you would notice just after giving the bullet the initial tap with the ball starter. Whether it be the sharp brass cutting a ring into the nose of the lead conical . This led me to try several different tips through the years to no avail. So, I chose to develop and patent my own new loading tips designed to alleviate the issues that continue to be a problem in the muzzleloading industry. There is now a way to load bullets without deforming them as they are placed in the barrel and seated tightly on the powder charge.

I knew the tip would begin with a threaded brass cup that would couple to ramrods and ball starters available in the industry with 10-32 threads. As I developed the idea I looked for a pliable material that would withstand high heat, provided durability and would withstand the force applied during loading. I also needed a material that could be bonded to brass. After much research I chose neoprene as the material to make the tip of the loading tip. I looked at samples for different hardness associated with this material. I chose 70 durometer material to still allow flexibility and provide cushion during loading. As the idea developed I also chose to provide 2 different profiles to accept a wider variety of bullets. Also considered was the diameter of the tip. .432 was chosen to allow a universal approach that would work for 45 caliber and above. Please share your thoughts on the new loading tips pictured below. You will see both, standard and long range tips. yes these are Made in USA.🇺🇸

Long Range
View attachment 347949

View attachment 347948

Standard

View attachment 347951View attachment 347950

View attachment 347952
View attachment 347954
Why not simply fill the cupped rod end with metal set epoxy, level it off, and move on.
Some deformation of the bullet nose has no effect.
You shouldn’t be pounding on the bullet when seating it anyway.
Muzzleloading rifles are short to medium range tools to begin with. Even if your modifications have any effect, it will be very small and immaterial for what they are meant to do. A gun that will only group it’s bullets in a 3 or 4 inch group at 100 yards will still make a killing shot out to 150 yards if properly aimed.
For fairly serious paper target competition, there are many other variables more import at than bullet nose condition.

Sorry to pop your balloon.

BTW, your technical drawings are first-rate.

Last edited:
Why not simply fill the cupped rod end with metal set epoxy, level it off, and move on.
Some deformation of the bullet nose has no effect.
You shouldn’t be pounding on the bullet when seating it anyway.
Muzzleloading rifles are short to medium range tools to begin with. Even if your modifications have any effect, it will be immaterial for what are meant to do. A gun that will only group it’s bullets in a 3 or 4 inch group will still make a killing shot out to 150 yards if properly aimed.
For fairly serious paper target competition, there are many other variables more import at than bullet nose condition.

Sorry to pop your balloon.

BTW, your technical drawings are first-rate.
It appears someone ****** in your cheerios this morning!

It appears someone ****** in your cheerios this morning!
Nope. I am a very cheery, affable person.
Just hate to see someone who is obviously bright and talented working on a brilliant solution to a non-existent problem.
But this hobby is all about entertaining ourselves, so unto each his own.

Long Range
View attachment 347949

View attachment 347948

Standard

View attachment 347952
View attachment 347954

That is a good idea. I have made a rifling/sizing die from a cut-off piece of barrel (re-barreled gun) treaded and fits in my cartridge loading press. Lead bullet is pushed through it with short rod that is put on the press ramrod (similar to using a shell holder). It resizes and engraves proper rifling twist on the bullet at the same time. I don't know if it does anything to accuracy, but it makes loading easier. I had this for two rifles, and I like it.

I am by no means a long range muzzleloader shooter, but I have to ask. Why is this not a viable product? I’m a hunter and shoot balls outta my ML, so it doesn’t appeal to me. However, every long range shooter I’ve read about or talked to is always emphasizing how it’s never one big thing that gets the best accuracy. It’s a bunch of little things, that applied at once, really get a rifle doing its best. Maybe this little gadget ends up being someone’s “little thing” that gets added on and pushes them over the top. Hell, maybe not, but I wish the OP the very best of luck. I hope you make a fortune.

Long Range
View attachment 347949

View attachment 347948

Standard

View attachment 347952
View attachment 347954

Just what we need another gadget for a sport that has been around for hundreds of years, of course for us who shoot just plain old round balls one less item in the bag.

Back