• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Lyman Great Plains .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rles221

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good day all,

Im Trying to find out what the best ball weight and patch thicknes is for this gun. The book does not recomend eny spacific size ball and patch. I have a .45 cal KY but not to sure if the patch thickness is right
eny help with this would be great
thanks
Rick

Hey Rick, What part of Jersey? I was born and raised there before I moved to NE PA.
I have a GPR .50 flinter and it shoots really well using a hornady .490 round ball with a .018 patch. A new barrell will be alittle tough loading. I use a .015 lubed patch for close in target work. My hunting load is a .490 rb, .018 wonder lubed patch, over 80 grs of fffg. I drop down to 50grs for plinking and close target work with a .015 patch.:thumbsup:

Had 2 of them GPR and both liked a .495 RB with .015 patch and 80 Gr 2FFG

I use Hornady 490 RB and .018 pre-lubed patch w/ 75 grains. I clean between shots. If you plan on not being as fastidious in cleaning, you may want to go thinner on the patch.

Nuts
Im From Waren county PA I was stationed at Earl weapons station in th eNavy and just stayed here

Hota thank you
I am a avid believer in cleaning in between shot I learned tht from my grandfather. He started me into Flints
thanks again
Rick

Rick: For your .45 cal gun, buy some .440 diameter and some .445 diameter round balls. Hornady and Speer both make them.

Buy several different thicknesses of patches made for .45 cal guns. A good starting thickness is in the .012 to .018 thickness range.
Thicker is usually, but not always the best choice.
If you buy the pre lubed patches, your on your way.
If you buy some unlubricated ones you can buy something like Bore Butter or TC1000, or just make your own lube from Stumpkillers recipe for Moose Snot or just use spit to lube them.

Start with a powder charge of around 45 grains and work up from there. .45 caliber guns seem to like FFFg or Pyrodex P best. The finer powder burns cleaner in these small bore guns.
If your gun is a flintlock, forget the Pyrodex. It works VERY POORLY in flintlocks.

It is impossible to say what your gun will like best, but somewhere there is a ball size, patch thickness and charge weight that will produce very accurate shots.
finding that combination is all part of the game, and it gives you a good excuse to go out and shoot some more. :)

Jim
Thanks for the info I've used a .45 for about 10 years. i bought pre maid patches for it. the GPR is a .50 the wife bought for my birthday. I dont know to much about shoting a .50. Ball and patch sizes and all. But the guys in the forum are great with answering my questions. I am starting to get interested in making my own patches eny sugestions would be great.

Thanks again for you help
Rick

Get a box of .490 and a box of .495 rd balls and try them with different thicknesses of patches. You might try Wal-Mart striped pillow ticking. Most of us have had good luck with it a a patch material. Also try some Jo-Anns fabrics #40 drill cloth. It works as well or better for me in most rifles. Cut it into abot 1 1/2" wide strips and then lube the strips with one of the lubes found on the forum. Stumpys moose milk or moose snot. I roll mine up after lubing it and stick it in an empty 35mm film canister. Keeps it cleans and helps prevent it from drying out, and cut at the muzzle with a sharp patch knife.

Jim
Thanks If I use Bore butter do i only do one side, or do i have to apply to both sides.
Rick

Latest posts

Back