• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New made "replica" markings and build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retiredarmy13f

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I had a few C&B replica revolvers in the 90's, a Walker, 1858 Remington, 1860 Army all by various labels. They all functioned as designed and looked good. While I still have a few blackpowder firearms they are all somewhat older.

To my point. I was looking over a couple newer made revolvers, a Walker in particular. And all looked fine until I noticed stamped into the side of the barrel "blackpowder only blah blah". My older revolvers had the same stamp, only hidden nicely under the loading lever.

I've been looking at a few models, many the popular ones and some have this stamp hidden and some blaze horrificly on the side. I know it as to be on the firearm I just don't want to see it so boldly. I'm not as concerned with the proofing marks, I'm used to seeing those on my (European made) smokeless sidearms.

So of the newer made blackpowder revolvers which makes and models should I knowingly avoid, either for poor markings or just sub par build?

I'm familiar with most models little quorks and design issues of the replica era. I just don't want to have to look at lawyer jizz on what would be a beautiful blued steel barrel.

I don't own one yet but I have heard that Uberti has there's under the barrel covered by the loading lever. Double check that because I don't own one, it's just what I've heard.

Welcome to the forum :hatsoff: The newer Uberti revolvers I own have the black powder warning etched under the loading lever. I think that is the only company to do that. If you get a Second Generation Colt, there won't be any warning stamping on them. The Uberti guns are a bit more expensive, and better fit and finish than the Pietta guns. For my money I would go for the Uberti. If you find a Colt, even better.

My two cents. :hmm:

2nd generation colt as in the Dragoon? I've been looking at the Walker, Dragoons 1-2, some 1860 Colts and a few models of 1858 Remington. Uberti seems to be the makers of most of the models I've been looking at. My primary concern is that if I choose a model I need to order I really don't know what I'm getting until I get it. And if you try to view it it's hard to get a 360 view. I was looking at a Stainless 1858 by... starts with a "P" can't remember the labels name, anyway it had a very large stamp across the right side of the barrel. Just getting sick of seeing warning labels on everything. And other than making a piece of crafted steel look like trash it does nothing from truly stopping stupidity. Thanks for the heads up I'll continue looking at the Ubertis.

Depending on how you look at things, the Signature Series Colts are nice too. The main thing for me at least, is that they have Colt's 'signature' on the back strap, which I don't care for. I think it detracts... The Second Generation Colts will cost probably the most. The Signature Series is sometimes referred to by some, as the third generation Colt. However, they will not 'letter' from Colt. They are getting pricey too.

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum.

I agree with DoubleDeuce 1 and Mean Gene's posts above.

In general, Uberti's made in roughly the last 20 years will have the hidden warning markings.

Pietta's and those companies Pietta sells to like Traditions will have the obvious lawyer warning markings.

A recent thread on Colt 2nd Generation percussion revolvers gives some good information including on the Dragoons:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/299652/

Also suggest you consider buying used such as at gun shows. There are often bargains to be had on blackpowder revolvers including the 2nd Generation Colts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spanish made Santa Barbara Reminton New Model Armies and Belgian made Centaures ("1960 NEW MODEL ARMY") don't have the BLACKPOWDER ONLY marking.
Long Johns Wolf

I'll look into the Colt, Uberti, and the San Barbra line. Although I know I'm probably going to be leaning toward Uberti simply due to costs and availability... unless I see something that turns me away. While I still have the rifles everything I had for pistols is long gone. So if a pick a new higher end Uberti that cost about $400, I'll still need to pick up everything else. When I was younger I really enjoyed BP revolver shooting, even compared to modern firearms. I kick myself if I ran out spent loads only to find out it was like it once was.

Thank you all for stirring me in the right direction.

There is also the possibility of "Defarbing" as the re-enactors call it, but that does require refinishing.
I have done a couple where the lettering was draw filed off the barrels and the refinishing was done with cold blue and then rubbed back for an aged finish.

I bid a lot of BP revolver shooting with my Army San Marcos until it wore out. At that time the materials were made of very soft steal is why it wore out so fast.
I only recently picked it back up after buying my 1860 pietta and I found it just as much fun as it was then.

2nd. gen Colts are the cream of the crop, but almost to nice to shoot. The Uberti, is my pick for shooting, and I've had Colts's, Uberti's and Pietta's. Colt taught Uberti about quality, in my opinion.

For this you have the get rich quick people to thank, they over load their guns, use smokeless powder and who knows what else, then when it blows up in their face they sue. Now the companies are stamping down the side of the barrel to ensure they have a defence against the "I never saw the warning" excuse. Happy Shooting

I have both $200 Piettas with the ugly stamps, and $350 Ubertis that don't. They both function & fire just fine.

And while I'm shooting, I can't see any of that stuff. I shoot replicas, and have for 50 years. I don't bother pretending that I'm shooting something besides a replica, and the shooters next to me at the range either don't know the difference, or don't care.

My 50 year old Uberti 1861 Colt still has the finish it had when it left the factory, as would any well cared-for firearm. I don't care to abuse or neglect it to the point that all the blue wears off, just to make it look "older".

Back