• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member...looking for info!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigi43

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Greetings,

When my darling husband passed on three years ago, I inherited his smoothbore weapon and I need to know more about it than I do. Might want to sell it, but not sure about that.

What I do know:

Kit Ravenshear was the gunsmith

It is not a Brown Bess

I think the calibre is .62 or .66 but not totally sure
just repeating things I heard menfolk talk about

I think it is a replica of a 1759 carbine (also words I heard in conversation).

I don't think Kit ever made many of these. We bought Clyde's in 1986 and I believe it was the first one he made. We heard later that a few other folks had ordered them.

Clyde's favorite persona was a Gorham's Ranger (black faced blue era)and Kit thought this to be a totally appropriate weapon for that persona

I also have the plug bayonet that goes with it. I'm not sure Kit made that. I think Clyde may have made it himself. I know he made the sheath it is in.

Clyde loved this gun, called her Eve, treated her like a first class lady. I hate to see her lay in the closet in her case unused...she's a great shooter.

I still do some re-enacting, but what I do, I do as a 1760 Ursuline nun, so not much need for a weapon, at least not in any research I've found so far.

I have pictures that I will post.

Can I get some help from anyone on pinning down the correct description of the fine piece? I surely would appreciate it!

All of Good,
Elizabeth Lindsay Jasper

What I do know: Kit Ravenshear was the gunsmith. I think the calibre is .62 or .66 I think it is a replica of a 1759 carbine (also words I heard in conversation).

Hey Stumpkiller, didn't you own one of these once/or still do?

Your quote from smoothbore:
I can tell you that my first custom muzzleloader (back in the late 80's) was a .66 cal military fusil (a Kit Ravenshear 1759 light infantry 'carbine' - only 42" long barrel instead of 46" like the First Land Pattern).

It should bring about $1,100 to $1,200 depending on condition. I just sold a nearly identical piece (Kit Ravenshear 1758 Light Infantry Fusil with 42" barrel in .66 caliber - and that was considered a carbine in 1759). Mine was cut back for a socket bayonet - there were many variations. The officers sometimes used flush-to-the-muzzle stocked muskets.

I have two of Kit's catalogs from 1989/90 or so and I can look up your piece when I get home. I can tell you it should be worth at least what he paid for it

By astronomical, mind-numbing coincedence, I had just brought these two pictures in to work today to scan for posting on the photo forum.

Here is Kit with my fusil.
Kit_1.jpg

Kit again
Kit_2.jpg

He was a fascinating man and full of talent and stories.

(Ugh, I have embraced a new technology and I feel unclean).

Thanks for update and especially for the pictures of Kit. He was a dandy. We spent five very pleasant days with him at Ft. Niagara in '86. I'm trying to lay hands on my pictures of the fusil-musket-carbine-whatever it is and get them posted. Will also measure the barrel. All best. elizabeth

I was lucky enough to live a couple hours away and was able to spend three Saturday afternoons with him and his wife (even with my wife in tow). I loved being able to watch him in the shop (which I am sure was a nusiance to him but he obliged me for that picture), but just sitting and talking over tea or lemonade was better yet. He had a colorful history and a fine wit. I wish I had recorded his telling of the infamous 'grenade launcher' cup attachment he made for the muzzle of a Brown Bess and the accidental burning of an 'enemy' tent when he dropped a flaming tennis ball into the camp at a reenactment. It sounded so much more authentic in his British accent.

Here is Elizabeth's fusil (Bess carbine). I'll see if I can match it to a specific model in Kit's catalog. Looks like a 36" or 37" barrel not set back for a socket bayonet. Wood ramrod. Possibly a 1756 Dragoon or 1756 Artillery carbine? I'm leaning toward the dragoon version because of the plug bayonet. As far as I know the early artillery models were the ones with the wood ramrods, but I'm still researching.

Anyone else concur or refute?

eve01.jpg

eve02.jpg

eve03.jpg

Back