• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Lee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm brand new and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 3rd grade teacher, I have a huge interest in American, world, and military history; and I don't own a single muzzleloader - yet!

My primary interests in guns is centerfire and rimfire; but with a continuing bit of geneological research into my family past I have grown very interested in researching, shooting, maybe even building muzzle loading guns.

FWIW, my ggg(?) grandfather was Corp Richard Stevens, 9th VA Cavalry, Stafford Rangers, A Co. One thing I've been really thinking about getting ahold of would be a short carbine-or 2-band '53 Enfield or Springfield pattern musket.

The revolutionary war relatives that dad has researched I don't know as much about...I really need to chat with dad about that.

Well, it certainly looks like a wealth of knowledge and interesting ideas floating around in here!

Greetings Adam,

Always good to have another teacher in camp.

Hope you are able to find a ML to your liking. The whole history of the ML lends itself well to many lessons. :hatsoff:

Welcome Adam. You certainly have a lot of history behind you. Wonderful that you can still ask your dad about things; wish I could still talk to mine. There are a lot of questions that will remain unanswered. Emery

Welcome aboard Adam, I would encourage you to find out all you can from all your older family members if you have a interest in your roots ,because when they are gone it's to late. I wish I had of listened more to all those boring conersations as a child. Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Adam,
Welcome to the MLF,great having you with us.
You are in a unique position and I hope you use
it,but stay out of trouble with the school board.
Visit and contribute often.
I am snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Thanks for all the great welcomes. It sure is a comfort to get those kinds of responses compared to the ones I get when I send quarterly interims home for my students!! :cursing:

As far as the colonial & revolutionary war family history is concerned, I did manage to have a conversation with dad this week and what has happened in the geneologic research is a "chunk" is missing that would go far to establish some important benchmarks.
Dad is able to get back extensively for many "branches" of the family tree (as a retiree, this is one of his hobbies) but the portion that might yield the best connection with our colonial and pre-revolution period past stops abruptly at a particular side of the family.
Apparently, and we really aren't clear yet, the family that was linked to land holdings in southern Maryland and the general area of Charles County is missing a key link in the family tree that dad still needs to identify.

He has been doing all this research for several reasons - one is that he recognized early on that most people lose their family history due to neglect or whatever, and he wanted to make it clear for us kids (I call myself a kid and I'm almost 44, whatever!) But also, he wanted to establish verifiable proof of kin so that his grandkids could legitimately get involved with historical groups and societies like the DAR/SAR/SCV/DCV organizations.

As a schoolteacher in elementary education, I'm lucky for all this background, that's for darn sure!

Another break for me as far as history is concerned, is that I spent a decade of my early life from about 1971-1979 growing up on a farm that was planted on the site of civil war action - we lived on Ely's Ford Road just about half a mile from the Rapidan River bridge. Any of you folks with a bit of CW history will recognize the significance of Ely's Ford in the Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania, and Wilderness battles.

And yes, I found minie balls and parts of rusty metal buckles and stuff in the vegetable garden when dad ran the plow through it from time to time. The garden plot was the field closest to the road.

Wow..that's sure a lot of writing. I hope I don't bore any of you to tears on it! :snore:

Take care!

Adam Lee

Bore? We talk a lot about bores on here :grin: Welcome to the forum.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

nw hunter is right, nothing boring there! It is always neat to hear about "local" history. One of these days it would be neat to have a get together of the VA members of this forum.

I don't own a single muzzleloader either... more like a dozen. :wink:

Welcome to the forum Adam! :hatsoff: It's a great place to learn, about both BP guns and history.

Be warned tho, black powder is addictive! :grin:

jethro224 said:
I don't own a single muzzleloader either... more like a dozen. :wink:
Be warned tho, black powder is addictive! :grin:
Adam,
Like the country song goes..." no such thing
as having too much fun,or too much money" and I
might add too many B/P rifles,knives or bags.:hmm:
snake-eyes:wink:

Back