• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Mountain Rifle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. with newhunter.

While the Hawken is a truly beautiful rifle it wasn't the only rifle in common use during the 1830-1850 period.
Not everyone during that time owned a Hawken and that includes the Mountain Men/trappers of the era.

There were dozens of gunsmiths in St Louis and elsewhere that were making fine guns at the time.

Of course if someone wants to change or revise their modern sidelock that's fine, but if they tell someone that "now it looks like a Hawken" they are asking for some severe disagreement from a lot of knowing people.

Personally, I like the CVA Mountain Rifle. It does a fairly good job of representing the basic styles of the mid 1800's.

Ky. Wind,

That will be a good project indeed. However, I agree with Mule Brain. It has character, and looks as if it has alot of stories to tell. Will be looking for the pics in the Spring.

Bud.

I have been wanting one of those Mountain rifles and plan in the near future to get one from the Possible shop. It really fits the pattern of the pre civil war Texas frontier rifle

I recently bought a USA made CVA Mountain rifle myself. Mine is in 50cal. The reason the lock maybe hard to get to hold on full cock may be the screw on the tumbler that is there to adjust the sear engagement. I didn't know what it was either until I asked here. Back that screw out some and see if that doesn't help. When you have that lock in your hand and are adjusting that screw, you can see how it changes sear to tumbler engagement. When you find where it is a safe engagement, put some blue Loctite on the screw so it does not change. If it does not hold after the lock is reinstalled in the gun, look to see if the trigger adjustment screw is set too tight. I think you will find the lock and triggers fine, after they are adjusted correctly. If not,there may be a damaged sear or tumbler that needs to be addressed. On a percussion gun all we need to do is fire a cap, so it does not usually take a lock replacement to make that happen. I do not know who made my USA marked barrel, but I did hear that they were shooters and mine sure is. As a personal point, yours has some of the best maple I have seen on a CVA. I can see why you would consider bringing out all the character you can in that gun. Your gun, but I would not alter the shape of the stock though. It is a CVA, nothing wrong with that, and it should look like a CVA.

Douglas made the USA made barrels.

I got the lock issue solved. I backed the tumbler screw out a bit and it fixed the problem. I just have to settle for a 3lb trigger now.

Nice rifle :thumbsup: Nice wood too. Don't know why but I like them old CVA's. I have the made in USA .50 It looks awful tired but I've kinda got to like it that way. It's a shooter too.

Well, she shoots pretty good at 100 yards. 80gr Pyrodex RS, a patch on top of the powder and then a homecast round ball wrapped in a prelubed .015 patch did 2" 3 shot group@ 100 yards early this morning.

May go back out this evening and try .018 pillow ticking and see how it does with that.

A couple of my rifles shot that well at one time, but these days my eyes sure won't.

Good shooting! You got a winner, no matter what yardstick is used.

I think I'd carry it and use it for a while before I spent money on it or changed it. You may find you like it just as it is and if, after a bit you don't, then you make some changes.

ok i can live with this for a while. That darn factory color case hardened stuff on the lock just made it look so cheap.
100_5720.jpg

I still plan on buying the l&r lock due to it looking a lot nicer but thats going to be some time. Right now i am working on range time with it.

I have to put a .015 on top of the powder and then my patched ball. If i dont, the patches burn up badly and accuracy is horrible.

Tried some .018 pillow ticking and got the same group @ 100 yards but i needed the help of a 2x4 to knock it down a fouled bore. :nono:

The color case hardening colors can be removed. Makes it much cheaper than a new lock.

Yup. Just buff it off with steel wool. When I aged my Uberti Walker, I just took some OOOO steel wool and in a few minutes the phony looking case colors were gone.

The casehardening isn't phony, it's just a cyanide process. In the case of the Colt it isn't the same process that was originally used (bone and wood charcoal), but using cyanide was still a common enough practice in the 19th century.

Yes I know it does harden the steel, but compared to the Colt type process it just has a phony look. Most folks of my acquaintance don't like it much. It's main advantage is it's lower cost. And it is quicker, too.

That rifle has a lot of character. I would just leave it the way it is if it funtions well and it seems to. Guess I'm like some of the others. I really like the patina it has acquired over the years.

Don R

Back