• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know one from the other, but to judge it based on your own knowledge. I got a little scroll that says I leaned some history, my step son has one too. He went on to law school, I went on to be a nurse. That little scroll and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee. In spite of jumping through some hoops, and my step son jumping through the same hoops we still argue over historic events.
Go to a local historic site. You will find some little local history book. Written by someone who never took a history class after high school, but is the worlds greatest expert on some local event.

Mooman,

I thought it was well worth the ticket price too.

Don

Jack Wilson said:
I think to judge the "historical accuracy" of something you need more than a brain. You need knowledge. Some here have it, some don't.
True enough I suppose, keeping in mind that often "knowledge" turns out to be "opinion".

I'm not an "Expert" or an "Authority" on anything. If you don't believe me...just ask my Wife. :grin:

BTW, and to no one in particular, we're all here sitting around the fire, talking about a movie we saw, or are going to see, that deals with subjects we are all interested in. Nothing more.

I don't think anyone here has sent a copy of their post to the New York Times, to be printed up in the Theater section.

And crewdawg, the movie is definitely worth seeing. You will enjoy it, as will your Wife. Mine did!

I think the only ones not enjoying it(the movie) so much are those that are being nit picky about authenticity. Knowledge sometimes can be a bad thing. I might nit pick a little but can still enjoy it. I know more than the average person about this subject but there are way more people here that know the technical aspects of this than myself. Just try to enjoy the movie for what it's worth. I'm hoping that all the attention this movie is drawing that they will try to do more movies like it.

Saw the movie today on it's second weekend at the theatre. It was a packed house. Throughout the whole movie I thought to myself, that sure doesn't look like Lemmon, SD.....

Most of it was filmed in Canada, a far cry from the plains of SD. In one of the scenes filmed in British Columbia, you could see sword ferns, which don't grow in SD at all. Otherwise, I thought the cinematography was excellent. I'll have to watch it again I guess, I missed the part where they shot twice without reloading their muzzleloaders.

colorado clyde said:
Glass and DeCaprio both have blue eyes....Harris's appear to be more hazel.
That settles it... Leo is Hugh Glass reincarnated :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Good eye :wink:

:hmm: Well when he shoots the bear ,as he lifts the rifle the hammer is half open you actualy see leo close the hammer and fire . as for the pistol firing two shots in two different sceens when he steels the pistol from the rapers belt he picks up its pair mate in a belt set on the ground .

I missed him picking up the second pistol in that scene. That would explain why I thought he shot it twice without reloading.

Don

It was a decent watch, allot of pedersoli guns were present through the film! The bear scene had me squirming in my seat... :shocked2: can't imagine. When he cauterized his neck wound, by the time he got his fire kindled, the powder would have been useless from soaking up the blood. Anywho, it was good IMO, not great or excellent but good. :)

Saw it last night. Good movie. Best film of the year, best actor? Not so sure about that. But, I have to admit Dicaprio did a good job. I'm no fan of the pretty boy stars but Leonardo pulled it off. Yes, I noted some historical innaccuracies. Only one that bothered me was the rapid fire flint pistol. Story was probably as close to reality as some of the written versions I have read. I will say the cinematography was incredible, that might be Oscar worthy. Very good movie overall. Great? Not quite. BTW, was the 'f' bomb common in the day? I went alone, this is not a wimmens movie.

Rifleman, my assessment is about the same as yours. I thought the acting was darned good. The bear scene was "intense" to say the least...my wife hid her head! I'd be interested in just how they filmed or "created" that scene. But I also thought the movie dragged out. I'm not sure it couldn't have been as good if they had followed history in evidence more vs such a divergence.

I also kind of wondered why the producers would have paid what I assume was a pretty handsome price for two duplicate, carved and engraved gorgeous rifles on a rush when they really weren't shown in detail all that much. :idunno:

I agree with the use of the F bomb... Fitzpatrick certainly liked to drop it.

Personally I feel the end went to quickly, sitting there for 2+ hours it was building... the demise of Fitzpatrick was approaching with each step Glass took. Then, the captain and Glass track him down in what seemed like ten minutes...

I think it is easy to enjoy a movie, like it, and also enjoy nitpicking it for historical faux pas . I do not see these as being mutually exclusive at all.

Crewdawg445 said:
I agree with the use of the F bomb... Fitzpatrick certainly liked to drop it.

Personally I feel the end went to quickly, sitting there for 2+ hours it was building... the demise of Fitzpatrick was approaching with each step Glass took. Then, the captain and Glass track him down in what seemed like ten minutes...
Should have watched it again, might get Hardy's character right. It was Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back