• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Neck Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished this one. 4 1/2" half tang blade of 01 steel. One piece walnut grip with deer rawhide wrap, sewn on with a baseball stitch of rawhide lace. The sheath is walnut dyed brain tanned deer over vege-tan leather. The brain tan covering is glued on and stitched with linen thread with "old time German" chalk white beads. All very lightly aged. Total weight of the set is 3 1/2 oz. Hope you enjoy a look.

Picture002_640x480.jpg

Real pretty Wick. I love the finish you put on your blades and handles. :thumbsup:

Beautiful work wick. How are the beads secured in the handle,are they glued in? If so what type glue do you use?

Wick, what else is there to say about the quality of your work..........STUPENDUS (sp?)!!! :rotf:
:bow: :v

Stuart, I try to pick beads that are at least a snug fit in the hole, but use a little epoxy to make sure they stay.

Excellent as always Wick. :thumbsup: Your work always looks classy. Your knives just look " right ". :thumbsup:

Wicke,

Thank you for sharing that one... It's inspiring to have your work posted on this forum. Where I'm from, it's very hard to be exposed to this standard of workmanship. Looking at your knives and sheathes has brought more depth to the types of items that I add to my personal kit. I no longer settle for what's commonly available thru the Sutlers... :wink:

Wick..love the blade finish and the leather wrap! ..Thank you for sharing...

One question? I'm new to neck knifes..was this a preferred way to carry over belt or bag? Is this more of a Native American tradition or European one? I'm not trolling..just don't know...Thanks...Dan

I believe it is more an NDN/NA and French thing. I have seen little to no mention of neck knives being worn by Eastern woodsmen, that I can remember, but would not say they never were. I don't care to wear them. Tried it for awhile years back, and found that they get in the way and flop around when you're bent over or running. Got enough stuff hanging on my body already without adding more.

Wick,top notch. A really classy outfit where one item compliments the other. :thumbsup:

Wick Ellerbe said:
I believe it is more an NDN/NA and French thing. I have seen little to no mention of neck knives being worn by Eastern woodsmen, that I can remember, but would not say they never were. I don't care to wear them. Tried it for awhile years back, and found that they get in the way and flop around when you're bent over or running. Got enough stuff hanging on my body already without adding more.

"Got enough stuff hanging on my body already without adding more"
Yeah, they are called TICKS! :rotf: :rotf:

Wick Ellerbe said:

Thanks Wick!...Keep the pictures coming....dan

Wick Ellerbe said:
I believe it is more an NDN/NA and French thing.

Right, the idea came from the French/Voyageur, it was a gift bestowed to a loved one to protect matters of the heart or love of one during an extended absence. Infidelity was considered emotional not physical.
When worn close to the heart is was to cut/stop the advances of amori'.
And displayed in formal settings it was ment or more like what we consider an engagement ring,,that the wearer was "spoken for" or involved/with someone else and true love was unavailable.

I always cringe when I see guy's with this huge, menasing bowie style "neck knife", the idea was small delicate and beutifull,,and yes they ARE inconvenant to wear for daily use.

Nice sheath,,I hope you don't mind I steal that basic design for one of mine. :grin:

Back