• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Ohio deer limit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I read in a german hunting magazin that Ohio has about 600,000 whitetails and want to reduce the herd down to 250,00. That wil be a difficult thing, especially when the bow hunters should do that. Why don't they make the seasons longer? It seems nearly impossible to kill 350,000 deers in such short hunting seasons.

Dirk sometimes I wonder what Ohio Department of Natural Resources is thinking. I have concluded that they do not know what they are thinking. If they really want to cull the herd down that much they need to extend the seasons.

If they really want to reduce the herd i would be glad to help them as a tourist hunter, but only with ML.

My take on this is that the insurance agencies are putting pressure on game departments to lessen claims on animal collisions. Fewer deer mean fewer insurance payouts.

My point is that Ohio already has a very restricted early ML season (you can only hunt certain very limited areas) why not start a early (no restricted area) traditional ml season. I think that we could increase the kill, many hunters would participate even if they had to use a dreaded side lock. The oppurtunity to see more unpressured deer while hunting with a ml would be great and would suit their needs. I have e-mailed the Ohio dnr but I never get a response.
James

Sometimes when I compare the german system of hunting grounds to the US-licence system I find the german system more effective, because the hunting grounds are leased for 9 or 11 years. The leasers know the herd in their ground very well and can make a real herd management over the years within the rules of hunting laws.So it is possible to reduce the herd when needed.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I havent been having very good luck the past few seasons(as in missing the deer I see :surrender: ) So personally I have only been worrying about filling that first tag. I sure hope I can worry about filling the second one soon!

What I'd like to see ODNR do is open Archery season to Traditional Round Ball guns and keep the late season for Inlines and Black Powder Cartrige Rifles .38-55 and bigger.The inlines shoot like a 45-70 anyway why not let into the party? There is no question that if you shoot lots of Does you will get more and bigger[url] Bucks.In[/url] Ohio if the herd size is 200,000 at the end of season and 60% are Does (wishful thinking) and they have 1.5 fawns each that 180,000 deer a year to harvest. I know there are more than 200,000 left every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windy Ridge said:
What I'd like to see ODNR do is open Archery season to Traditional Round Ball guns
Windy,
Although I think your numbers on the size of
the deer herd in Ohio are very low as is your
figure on the number harvested.
When you take in the all the hunting seasons,
archery,gun and blackpowder the deer harvest
usually runs about 220,000+or-. The herd size
itself runs closer to 500,000+ or-. That being
said. I agree with your other thoughts. What
I have asked the ODNR to do on numerous occasions
is give the Traditional(not in-line) hunters a
week of the deer rut.As it is, it is reserved for the bow hunters.
I have absolutely nothing against the bow hunters.
On the contrary I'm thinking of taking it up,just
so I can hunt the rut.My die/hard bow hunting
32 year old son has taken me under his wing.With
his help I will hunt with a bow this year for
the first time and during the rut.
I think there is room for us all in deer season.
However with the in-line folks thinking they can
shoot and kill at 200yards in Ohio they should
get the very worst of hunting dates.
An archer would never take a responsible shot over
35/40yards,a slug(shotgun) person over 100yards.
A Traditional Muzzleloader hunter maybe 100 or less yards.
My point being if an in/line is going to be shot
at 200yards then why not center/fire rifles, which
are a :nono: except for poachers in Ohio.
My latest responce from the ODNR was that in-lines
will not be seperated from what we call traditional or primitive hunting. I am sure this all comes down to the $$$$$. By that I mean the
state sells more license and for sure in-line
folks like Knight etc are selling guns to
accomidate state laws.
These are my opinions! Just wondering what part
of Buckeye country do you call home.
Sorry for going on!
snake-eyes:hmm:

Snakeyes, I agree with all you said but one thing. :grin: As an avid bowhunter, it is nice to keep the woods quiet during the rut. :wink:

Dave,
I can see where that might be of concern
to you:surrender::rotf:
snake-eyes :)

You know Snake Eyes. In Ohio's great wisdom, they continue to screw up the deer season! We have to have 2 weekends that do nothing but screw up everyone else's hunting season. Look at our regular gun season! Start the sucker on a Monday, run it through the following Sun. Then give it 5 days off and follow it with another weekend. How dumb! The deer never get "settled" down. The state thinks they are giving more hunting oppertunites to the modern gun hunter, but they are really just messing it up. To give the same days, run it from one Sat. for a week till the following Sun. Then it is done. Ml'er season is done, when it is cold. I don't mind it, but tell a budding new hunter that freezing body parts off is a good time. IMHO, put the Ml'er season on the Thanksgiving weekend, they would get the same number of hunting days, it would still be in the tail end of the rut, it would be a week before the regular gun season and it would be before the orange army comes out in the SVU's to run all over private ground with guns pointed out of all the windows. There, then we could get the looney's in and out of the woods in 3 weekends and life could return to normal.

Dave,
I guess what I would really like to see
is an open early one week season prior to
shotguns and without I/L. Won't happen,but Dave
it would still be safer than slug season.How many

times have you heard,bang,bang,bang,bangduring slug season.When
you here that its desperation and hope,not a good
shot.IMHO
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

Isn't that the truth! Remember before they put in that you could only have 3 slugs in a gun? You could sit and listen to what the guy maybe shooting with, by the number of shots! Like I know a Model 12 holds 7, an 870/1100 holds 5 shots. Of course I love it when coming out of the hills you meet 2 guys carrying 30-30's during the ml'er season. Of course they are much like an inline, they both have scopes. :wink:

If they let me use my flinter during bow season I think I would sell my bow and buy more powder :grin:

If I remember isnt Pennsylvania the state that has flintlock only season??As for Ahia? it seems it is all about making money!! now they charge 3 bucks for a permit for mzlseason and you have to pick from 3 areas? olden days you could move around and hunt different areas now they slam you into a set place? Another thing, why do they continually have the same 3 wildlife areas for mzlseason?? for 40 yrs the same places??is it a guvmint program for the locals in those areas?? there are more places in Ahia that could be hunted and maybe more interest generated?I live dang center in the best county in Ahia for deerhunting and seriously? I do not hear the shooting from the wildlife area like you did in the 70-80's! and after Monday ?it get so quiet the neighbors around my farm wonder if it is deer season? then Friday/Saturday it picks up again? maybe because the licences cost the young guys a hunk of change and they cant take off any time because of it? who knows?? just an old guys opinion? I sure would like for them young guys to hunt more it gets the deer up and running for us ol geezers!! :youcrazy: :)

Back