• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New (Old) Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a broken bugle horn on a trade. The tip was damaged as was the horns base. Thought it would make a good candidate for a simple powder horn.

I cut the tip back and opened it up enough to take a fiddle peg for a stopper. Decided to make the throat area octagonal with faceted flats. Engrailed each side of the strap location. Made two flat bottom rings to accept the horn strap and the keeper string for the peg. Made a dome shaped base plug and heated the horns base and drove it in.

Dyed the spout black and colored the horns body a medium brown. Cut out and fabricated the strap. Used a antique drawer pull for the baseplug.

Nice job on the horn, I'd be happy to have one like that.
I have a question, on the area that transitions from black to brown, was that section part of the original horn you received. From the picture it looks like that black portion was added to the horn, the edging at that point give the appearance it was joined there. Just wondering if you made that black section.

The transition between black and brown is all done by my hand. There are two different styles of engrailing. The black side is reverse engrailed (sometimes seen in early N.E. horns).

Rick....

It OK. But I couldn't thin down the spout end like You and I normally do. When it was cut back...The original hole was close to the wall. Looks like it was done with a hot wire.

Very Nice! :thumbsup: It looks like a Horn some Southern guy might have carried with his squirrel rifle.

Very nice, you made a silk purse from a sow's ear. What kind of wood is the base plug?

Piece of hard pine heartwood. The base is oval....so it was a bit harder to do. Well pleased with how it came out.

Simple yet elegant, my kinda horn for sure! Very nice work, very nice. Have you made quite a few horns? Ive only made three so far and nothing even close to that one! :bow:

I have made quite a few over the years. Done some scrim work on many of them.

Made this one for my new .40 cal that Roy Stroh and Terry Briggs did. Making a new bag to go with the gun and horn.

Back