• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Orleans Ace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grendal

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently acuired a new orleans ace 44cal. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get parts for it (it has a weak mainspring). Also Can anyone direct me to a place where I can download instructions for it.

Thanks,

Grendal

Welcome Grendal: Child of Cain and foe of Beowulf. ::

I think Numrich Arms of West Hurly, NY has parts. I don't recall the manufacturer off-hand so I can't look it up.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/dept.asp

You could also try:

Thunder Ridge Muzzleloading
3109 Amamogordo Dr. NW
Albuquerque, NM 87120
505-836-5430
E-mail: [email protected]

They still sell the kits and may have a line on parts.

Grendal

Dixie Gun Works sells the Classic Arms Co. New Orleans Ace Pistol as a kit. They might have parts for it. Check their web site or give them a call, 1-800-238-6785.

I have recently acuired a new orleans ace 44cal. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get parts for it (it has a weak mainspring). Also Can anyone direct me to a place where I can download instructions for it.

Thanks,

Grendal

If you need a replacement for a broken part, I think you should go directly to the manufacturer...

BUT FIRST, PLEASE read the following little experience.

The standard hammer spring is kind of "underpowered" in these guns. I don't know if it's a safety/design issue, or just to make the hammer easier to pull back.

I had a New Orleans Ace a few years back, that I HAD TO put a heavier spring into--as it would NOT detonate a #11 percussion cap at all!

If you live near an ACE hardware store, they stock a bunch of similar springs that may work for you. You may have to shorten it to get the length and tension correct.

I also had to put an aluminum spacer in with the spring, as I unfortunately had shortened my spring just a wee bit too much.

After my modification the gun would fire the cap every time, and the hammer was only slightly harder to pull back. Maybe the design engineers thought that someone's thumb might slip off the hammer and fire the gun prematurely--if the spring was heavier... and then sue the company for making an "unsafe gun"...?

Here is the info.

Classic Arms/Deer Creek Products 1-765-525-6181
Sorry, but they do not have e-mail or an internet website.

Good Luck with your project... and shoot safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I got my Ace from[url] cainsoutdoor.com[/url] and they were very helpful in getting spare parts to me. Deer Creek also carries these guns and should be able to get parts and instructions to you.

Fun little gun, shoots a .433 diameter ball. Mine shoots about 12 inches high but windage is pretty good. I use the hammer top as a sight. Using this sighting meathod(aim way low) I can hit a paper plate at about 7 to ten yards. By the way I've used up to 20 grains of pyrodex p without any problems. Wouldn't use it for self defense but still wouldn't volunteer to be shot with it.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Also Can anyone direct me to a place where I can download instructions for it.

Luckily I found my old copy of the instruction sheet for the Classic Arms New Orleans Ace Kit. If you want the two files, send me your e-mail address in a PM and I will send them to you--if you still want them?

I remember that mine used a .440 ball and a thin patch with wonder lube and somewhere around 20gr of FFFg. It was possible to stay on a full sized silhouette from about 20ft. Loaded with 1/2 oz. of #9 shot it would make an awesome little "snake gun" for hiking, camping, backpacking.

Let me know about the instructions, OK?

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

Hillbilly,

I started with the .440 balls but I practically needed a hammer to get it started so I switched to the .433 balls with much better results. How do you aim your Ace?

Don

Don said:
Hillbilly,

I started with the .440 balls but I practically needed a hammer to get it started so I switched to the .433 balls with much better results. How do you aim your Ace?

Don

I used an 'extremely thin' patch with the .440's... but I think I'd have been better off with the .433 diameter balls also. For sights, I put a little 'VEE groove' in the hammer so that when it was at full cock, it was kind of a crude sighting point. After a while it got easier to tell what my aiming angle was without too much trouble.

Since the gun wasn't really made for any kind of distance shooting, it is sort of silly to expect much from it--but I still wanted it to be half decent shooting out to about 20-25ft anyway. Sights are kind of superfluous on a gun like this, but you get more used to pointing a gun at closer ranges than aiming it anyway.

BTW, I have had two of these ACEs over the years. The first one would not load a .440 at all and it was rifled! The second one was smoothbore and a .440 is a pretty tight projectile to try and load. I wonder what the tolerance is on the bore size of the barrels?

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

Back