• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Paterson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a new Pietta Paterson in today. The thing is that I'm not sure how to take it apart. Does it come apart like other cap and ball pistol? I pushed the wedge out and tried to pull the barrel off and it was really tight and I couldn't get it off. I was afraid to force it. Also, I can't figure out how to load it witht the loading tool if I ever get the barrel off. Help
Logan

It comes apart like any other colt. The first time it may be a bit tight. Did you get the loading tool with it? If you did when you get the loading tool? If you did,when you get the barrel off the tool slips in the slot where the wedge goes. Then you load as normal. The loading tool is also a screwdriver, and when you take it apart it has a nipple pick in it.
Or you can use a common .36 cal. loading stand, which is what I use. I save the loading tool for display unless I am out in the field. Placing a cap on the nipples can be an adventure, You can get a patterson capper, take off the cylinder or experiment with different inline loading tools to find the one that fits. Anyway thats how I do it. Other may have a different or better way.

Thanks, I got it apart and cleaned it. Did you have a problem with the nipples. I tried #10 and #11 Remington caps and #11 CCI and they were all a little small. I guess I'm going to have to take off material from the nipples. I have another Pietta and I had to do that with it. I now see what you are talking about how to load the Paterson. The plunger part of the loading tool doesn't really seem to line up with the cylinder holes very well. Is it really tough to load with the loading tool? It doesn't seem to be able to seat the ball very deep into the cylinder. What kind of powder charge do you normally use in black powder?

If you use anything but BP you'll be loading a little bomb, not a pistol. I recommend Goex or Pyrodex.

What do you mean a litle bomb. Have they actually exploding or was that a figure of speech. I use Goex FFF usually in my pistols.

I am not sure what he is refering to either.
:hmm: I generaly use triple7 in all my pistols.

He means smokeless powder in black powder weapons equals grenade. With the pin pulled.

Black powder or black powder substitutes (aka synthetic black powder) only in black powder guns.

Back