• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New person, old pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makattack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Being that this is my first post, I would like to say that I am so happy to find this board. It's great that there is a place to talk and learn about my new addiction of BP shooting. I have a Remington 1858 clone I bought from a friend that I need some info about. On the barrel it says Lyman-Middlefield Conn. on the right side of the barrel it has two stamps, one is a PN with a star over it and the other is some sort of crest or coat of arms. I bought this gun from a friend that said he bought it from someone several years ago and never fired it. He only wanted 50.00 for it so I said what the heck. Did I get a bad deal. I need to know if it's a Ubirty or Pietta so I can find a extra cylinder or two. Also I've been shooting 30 gr of Pyrodex P under a .454 ball, and have decient accuracy (2"-21/2" at 30 yds) but I don't get the shaved off lead ring when I seat the ball. Can I use a .457 ball and do I need to reduce the powder charge if I do so? sorry about the long post I'm just excited. Thanks.

not up on pistols yet but welcome to the forum....just reading up on them as there's one in my future....so kick a log on the fire and tell some stories and someone will be along soon to answer yer ?..............bob

Dear Mr Makattack - congratulations on two counts!! Firstly for joining the site[ it's great, but don't let on else everybdoy will join in], and secondly, for getting a good deal on your revolver. The PN crown mark is the black powder proof mark] PN = pulvero negro = Black powder] and the coat of arms is that of the proof-house in Gardone val Trompia, where most of these weapons are made. Sadly, I can't find connect a reference to Lyman to either Uberti [note spelling] or Pietta in my stack of GDs, but no doubt somebody more knowledgeable will help you out there, I'm sure.
Your load sounds good to go, and the accuracy is right up there, too. As for the shaving, well, most of these Italian .44's use a .451 dia ball, and if your accuracy is as good as you say, I'd leave it at that. OTOH, trying out a few .457 can't hurt, eh?
Please note that both Pietta and Uberti, high-grade makers, usually proudly mark their weapons with their name. Have a look under the loading lever and see if there is a name there.

tac :grey:

If the gun is in good shape $50 is a great price. There have been two-four threads on C&B revolvers during the last 3 weeks or so. Search for them and you will find lots of advice about loading, cleaning, etc. Several people (myself incuded) bought their first C&B revolver based on these threads. I got a Colt clone (but If I had found a Remington for $50 I would have gone that direction).

Is the frame brass or steel? Several folks had good experience with brass but recommended light loads. Others recommended against it. I bought steel (but, again, for $50 I would have seriously considered a brass gun, if it looked good).

No idea how to ID the maker of your gun, but someone will undoubtedly know the secret. My Pietta says "PN" but it also says, "Pietta."

Welcome to the forum!

The gun is steel frame. There are no markings under the loading lever other than 3 numbers and a very small stamp that I can't Id. The right side of the barrel also has "for blackpowder only made in Italy" besitd the crests.

makattack,

Your pistol should be made by Uberti & their logo should be on the right side of barrel. Uberti's logo looks like the end of a barrel with rifling showing.

I have two of them 1 made in late 70's & another early 80's, both will also use the Pietta cylinders! Btw you got a very good deal.

Thomas

I have the Lyman in a .36 caliber. I don't know about Lyman being made by uberti. There is no Uberti info on my gun, only it says made by Lyman Corp. This is the same company that makes the excellent steel ball moulds. Not only did Lyman make pistols, but in the early 70's they also made muzzleloading shotguns and rifles, and was a producer of bokks on casting, shooting and muzzleloading. You sir have an excellent pistol. Your pistol either will take a .451 round ball, or a .454. There is a .457 out there available, but do not use that as it's made for the oversized Ruger blackhawk muzzleloading revolver. I really like my .36, even though the handle is a bit small for my hands. Your .44 will so well with either 20 or 25 grains of BP or substitute. In the .44 you can easily shoot 25 grains of 2F or 25 grains of 3F. A very versitile gun when it comes to powder. I've had excellent results with my .36 using pyrodex pistol grade, never having a misfire.
My personal load in my pistol is 20 grains of 3F, a greased felt wad and the round ball pushed on top. As for quality, I personally beleive your gun is better made than most of the current italian models being sold. I think people cared more 30 years ago and were more set on making a quality product than mass production and how much money they can get.
Ohio Rusty

First I would like to welcome You to the Forum.Secondly I'd like to congrdulate You on a great buy.I think Uberti made the revolvers for Lyman?It's been a few years since Lyman sold revolvers.It may someday be worth more to some collector of Replica weapons,because of the Lyman name.Are You certain the balls You are using are .454 and not .451?If their .454 You should get at least a thin ring of lead.I'd try the .457.if they don't load too hard,should give a little better seal and the recoil won't jump them off the powder.Have fun! :thumbsup:

I sure dont know what I am missing here....
I would assume if it says lyman on the barrel...then it is a "LYMAN" and I would say that you got a Very Very good price on it ! period.

**** WV SCROUNGER ***

I use .457 balls in my Uberti and get the nice rings of lead shaved off.

I'm using 30 gr of FFG bp and homemade bore butter over the balls.

I am defenatly using speer .454 round balls. There seems to be resistance but no lead ring. I've been using 30gr. of Pyrodex P and CCI #11 magnum caps. The gun makes good groups and I haven't had a misfire yet but they seem to shoot a couple inches low. I think I'll try some .457 balls before I start on filing the front sight. I take it I can order the extra cylinders from Cabelas and they will work in my revolver, right?

makattack,

As I said in one of my posts, my Lyman is definitely a Uberti and it definitely will use the Pietta cylinder.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I ordered a brand new Pietta 58 Remington New Model 44 caliber with an extra cylinder from Cabella's. The gun I sent back, because it was ill-fitted with a lot of gaps between wood and metal and metal and metal, etc., but out of curiousity, before I sent it back, I tried the extra cylinder in the one Lyman made by Uberti that I had at the time. I mic'd it with a good set of dial calipers and the dimensions on both cylinders were the same. It indexes correctly and shoots as good, if not better than, the original cylinder.

I can't guarantee that yours will be the same, but I can't see why it wouldn't.

Thomas

Back