• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pistol ordered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidthered

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Waiting on this baby to arrive from Pete at Middlesex Village Trading Co.
PRHR_right.jpg

PRHR_left.jpg

PRHR_lock.jpg

Boy, oh boy!!!! :redthumb:

WOW, I've never seen a pistol like that. It's really nice.
Unique trigger. Thanks for sharing. :front:

This Scottish Royal Highland pistol was only $299. :redthumb:
highlandofficer.jpg

For those that don't know about these pistols, the 'Murdoch' style was very common in Scotland. Wood was very scarce so they made them out of steel or brass. Most of these type you may have seen are heavily engraved and way too fancy for a simple soldier to own. The plain one is more authentic to the 42d Black Watch soldier I portray in my re-enacting.
The 'button' in the handle (between the rams horns) is a pick, it screws out so keeping your touch hole vent is easier.
I will let the forum know how well it shoots when it arrives, should be about 2 more weeks.
BTW, if anyone is contacting Middlesex, or placing an order for any gun, they are computer-less right now, having to move the office due to a new furnace being install, I was warned that shipping would be delayed because of this.

Looked at the Middlesex Village Trading Co. website.

Sure have some nice prices on nice looking muskets and pistols. ::

How is the quality?

Yeah, the captain of my unit has one of those, it's not very well made though, and really kind of a cheap knock off. Notice it doesn't have the curled ram's horn butt. They have a better one thats marked 32493612, looks like it's from Middlesex, rusted a bit and missing the vent pick, but a much better example of a true 'Murdock' pistol.

The quality of their stuff is good, same as DG or Loyalsit Arms, their muskets are made in India. The wood they use is Rosewood, heard some say the finish comes off on their hands, so a re-finish is suggested. Heavy suckers too, much more wood than say, a Pedersoli 2cd ShortLand, but then thats the way the Longlands were back then, clunkier and heavier.

I believe they were made by Palmetto Arms back aways. Palmetto is sort of famous for their spotty quality.

I have one of these that came from Dixie some 10-12 years ago and was unvented.I finally found someone to vent it and have been shootintg it ever since though without live rounds.I sometimes use it when I demomstrate muzzle loading firing.To tell the truth,I've never been sure about loading it up with a lead ball and pulling the trigger although I'm sure others have. I would advise you to carefully load with a light charge when you load it and lay it on a tire away from danger and then with a "long" string pull the trigger.You can step up the load gradually but I probably wouldn't use over 15-20 grains starting with 10 grains and a loosely patched ball.
Good luck
Tom Patton :m2c:

Tom,
So noted, thanks for the advice!!
BTW, it arrived today, so far I've just checked the action and spark, looks like a winner.
:redthumb:

The book Arms and Armor in Colonial America 1526-1783 by Harold L. Peterson says among other things about these pistols:

"Internally the lock mechanism was reminiscent of the eariler dog lock. The sear acted laterally. There was no half-cock position, and the cock was secured in the full position by the end of the sear which passed thru the lock plate and protruded in front of it.

These service pistols were made usually in England rather than Scotland. Many of those surviving today bear the mark of John Waters of London. Before 1758 these pistols were also often marked HR (Highland Regiment). After 1758 the markings RHR (Royal Highland Regiment) is more frequently found.

Officers' pistols resembled those of enisted men except that they were usually better made and elaborately decorated. Usually the stocks of officers' pistols were iron instead of brass..."

:)

I was wondering if that "button" was a screw out pick or just for decoration. You answered that question. :thumbsup:

Back