• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle!!! Need load help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ker2222

32 Cal
Reaction score
06679C31-967A-46D1-A492-EF6EE4C50DCE.jpeg

50 cal deer stalker from Lyman...... been along time since I have had a bp rifle...... was going through some boxes and found about 400 #11 caps sooooooooo, had to get something to use them on!!! Lol
Now I just need to find some more .490 balls.

anyone have any good load advice? I have some goex left but I have a ton of 777 so I’ll probably use that more....I have some of the maxi-balls and the plains conical..... but I really want to stick with prb

Last edited:
You’re gonna get dozens of answers but the general rule of thumb starting point will be 50gr of powder. Patch thickness and lube is as varied as the number of shooters. 50gr is a good target load out to about 50 yards. Some folks use that for hunting and some will even use 90 to 100 gr. For plinking I use 50gr of powder , a wad of wasp nest, a bare .495 round ball, topped off with another wad of wasp nest. This is real quick and easy to use. I adopted this method from shooting smooth bores.

Also, I use Pyrodex, 777, etc., in my percussion guns and save the real black for my flintlock.

You're going to need to work up a load which involves time at the range to shoot groups and incrementaly increase the grains and trying different thicknesses of patches and possibly trying some various lubes . Here's a good article on the process. For a 50 cal start with 50 grains of 3F, a .015 lubed patch and .490 RB. For lube I use Murphy's oil and water at the range and Bear Grease or Track of the Wolf's Mink oil when hunting.

http://traditionalmuzzleloader.com/...e-load-for-a-black-powder-muzzleloading-rifle

Since you will be using a substitute black powder (777), your loads will be measured by the volume equivalent of black powder. Use an adjustable measure. Start at 60 grains volume setting of powder and a lubricated 0.015" cotton patch.

Trigger feels great..... I put the trigger pull gauge in it and it averaged just under 3lbs.... quite impressive in consistency and feel

Back