• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New show on Amazon TV

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I watched the "Edge" pilot. The description says something about helping them pick their next new series.

I'm sort of torn about how I feel about the show. I like just about anything in the western genre so I am happy that they are trying.

This isn't so much a review, just a few thoughts. I'll try not to give any spoilers.

To me it was a combination of "Deadwood", "Hell on Wheels" and a Quentin Tarantino movie.

It starts out as your standard former/current civil war soldier on a quest for revenge. His quest leads him to a town run by ruthless bad guys. There is an underlying quest by several characters searching for some type of treasure which isn't completely revealed.

There is a good amount of cursing up to and including the F bomb. Some nudity and prostitutes doing what they do. There are several scenes with departing limbs and spurting blood.

For the firearms aspect, there was good and bad. The main character wields a Henry lever action rifle as his main weapon. There is a discussion about the .44 rimfire cartridge it uses which I though was cool.

There are a lot of 1860 Army type revolvers used but I didn't get a sense of whether they were going for cap and ball or cartridge conversion. There is a scene where the hero is cleaning his revolver and he is handling the barrel assembly with the wedge sticking out.

The bad being a running gun battle where no one needs to reload and the sound production was lame.

There was a healthy dose of western clichés including the good and bad guy staring each other down, looking tough, smoking cigars and blowing smoke like a locomotive. The Man With No Name made it look good while these guys looked silly.

It kept my interest and I would watch a few more episodes. Western series are a risk seeing as "Deadwood" and "Hell On Wheels" were cancelled and they were both far better than "Edge".

From what I've read, HOW isn't cancelled, but next season will supposedly be it's last. Too bad. That is one of my favorite shows.

Deadwood was a great show. Too bad the fools at HBO didn't continue it.

Another couple of really good shows along this style is Copper which was about the police force that was based in the 5 points area of NYC during the post Civil war era (they cancelled it after two seasons), Ripper Street (a good cop show based in Victorian England).

I highly recommend them both.

Latest posts

Back