• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Southern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a nice rifle I just finished.
It's a 42" 45 GM with a maple stock. Large Chambers Siler.. I know.. that's what it came with.. :surrender:
I love the straight angular lines and plain simplicity of the style. They are a pleasure to build.
Clean and functional. Must be the Yankee in me that loves them so :rotf:
Cut the butt plate.It is less curved for my friend. He has a few medical issues and needs a straighter stock/butt.It will be more comfortable for him to shoot.That's what counts.. getting these rifles out there and making smoke.

budsriflefinished005.jpg
budsriflefinished003.jpg
budsriflefinished001.jpg
budsriflefinished006.jpg

Great job. :thumbsup: Hope your friend is able to make good use of it.
Dusty :wink:

"That's what counts.. getting these rifles out there and making smoke."

Good on ya, mate! :hatsoff:

- Jet

Looks good to me! Shiny and fancy rifles are nice, but ya don't really need 'em when you're bustin' brush and huntin' deer in the cold & snow......

Thanks.
This was a KIT gun I built for a friend.
This rifle has a straight GM .45.. It seemed a little heavy when I first got it. Have gotten used to the swamped ones.
I fired it, to make sure the sights were straight and it functioned well.
It didn't take too many shots.. 5 or 6.. I think to get it centered and after tweaking the load.
Too much powder :redface:
It gave me a raged hole for 3 shots at 25 yds.
The combination of the Green Mt barrel and a good chambers Lock. Instant ignition, good flint wear, and GREAT accuracy.I have meet and worked with the men that make the GM barrels. Still surprised at how well they work.
Anyway,
Whats not to love??
It's a plain gun,but when you are on a limited budget.
Hey, it's all American made, 1 of a kind :thumbsup:

It's called a "bad browning job" :cursing:
The barrel is draw filed with a smooth file..until all the marks are straight and even.
Wipe down with strong rubbing alcohol.. the 95% stuff. Apply LMF cold brown..place in shower stall after turning on the HOT water and letting the room STEAM UP. Hope it comes out even and smooth.. If not then wipe it down and try again.
It's hard to brown stuff in Northern New Hampshire.
We have 11 months of winter and 1 month of "DARN COLD WEATHER" :grin:
After many times of trying to get it perfect.
I have come to the conclusion that, you do the best you can with it..
It looks good on that rifle.
I love those "southern guns"

Hello,
The parts for that rifle came from TOTW. The young guy that took the order was a help; however he was holiday help and not as green as I, barely. That's why the germanic lock and not english. We did okay, tho! Mike did such a good job on my rifle that out at Avery last week some fellow thought it was an original! Another fellow from Tenn. was impressed as well. The staff at the range remember the rifle, and the guy that brings it sort of. It is a shooter and I'm VERY proud of it! Thanks, Mike!!

Latest posts

Back