• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New stock for T/C Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmills

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am getting the bug to build a new rifle, but thought I would start small by finishing a replacement stock for the T/C. I see that Navaho is underway on a similar project.

I have found replacement stocks available at TOW, Pectonica, and TigerHunt.

Has anyone else done this and can you recommend any particular stock over the other? I have read some good comments on the three companies but nothing specific to this stock.

BTW, I am not asking for advice as to whether this is a good idea in general. :rotf:

I am just finishing a stock from TOTW rigt now, it should be done by Saturday. Although I can not speek for the other stocks you listed I am happy with the TOTW stock. I am not 100% sure of this so don't take my word for it, but I think that Tracks stocks are Pecatonica's stocks?? The Tiger Hunt stocks look to be a good deal, but I could not get ahold of the guy to ask about them. I needed extra drop in the stock, and I knew that the stocks from TOTW and Pecatocica had more drop than the T/C stock. I do not know about the Tiger Hunt stocks..

Hud, I agree with your thoughts on the drop. I emailed Tigerhunt to inquire about the drop. Are you saying I may not get a response. Any trouble fitting the parts? Which wood did you select and how are you finishing it? Any pics? Thanks.

I did not try email, that may work, I tried calling a few times and never got ahold of him. I would not say that he does not respond, I just did not try very hard.

I got the simi fancy stock, it has some figure but not alot. I am finishing it with LMF landcaster maple stain thinned 50% and True Oil, so far its turning out great. Most all of the inletting is done except the butt plate. Although nothing fits as is, you still have to do the final fitting, but it is very close. I will try and post some picts next week if I get it done. This is a T/C Hawken rifle that I built as a kit 16 years ago. Last year I replaced the barrel with a GM fast twist barrel and changed all the furniture from brass to iron. It is my hunting rifle and the T/C drop was not enough. The recoil would give me a headache inside of 3 shots. I am hoping that the increased drop will help. I have shoulderd the rifle while it was "in the white" and so far I really like the feel of it.

According to Pectonica the TOW stocks are the same. The grading of the stock is different according to Pectonica. I got a number 3 and there is good amount of figuring. Not totally. As to overall the only complaint I have is that the ramroad hole was off center and needed some work. It is not a drop in stock and everything needed fitting. I used a G.M. barrel and really the only two things I used from the T/C was the lock and trigger. It is finishing nicely and will probably have my last coats on by Friday. Will let it sit for a week and cure. I do think with this project and a refinishing of a 54 cal T/C I am ready to move to a more advanced kit, good learning tool. Good Luck on yours.

Hud and Navaho, I am following your trail, it looks like. What furniture did you use. I am thinking about the conversion kit from The Hawken Shop.

You mite take a look at this thread in regard to replacement stocks ... hope it helps some ...
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...?tid/186206/post/195301/hl/stock+davy/#195301[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
I poured a nose cap out of pewter, used reinagade trigger guard, Track of the Wolf butt plate, TC hawken Trigger and lock and G.M. barrel.

TigerHunt confirms by e-mail that its stock is a duplicate of the T/C stock.

dmills said:

FWIW, that's why I never pursued it further with Tiger Hunt...I found that the 70's / early 80's vintage TC Hawken stocks had longer LOPs in the 14.5" & 14.75" range which also increases drop at the heel.

In addition, the wood they used back then often had better grain & figure than current production...so I gradually began finding/buying the old style stocks, stripping/refinishing them so they looked far better than factory, swapped them out with the more current production Hawken stocks I had, and sold those stocks.

Just bought another 70's vintage Hawken stock this week that has terrific grain in it...will refinish beautifully

To measure LOP I am measuring from the frnt trigger to the center of the butt which is 14" on my T/C. Is that the correct measurement?

That is the correct way to measure length of pull. If you like your old stock at 14" then stay with it. The stocks from TOTW will allow upwards of 14.5" of pull plus or minus. For iron parts I used the nose cap from The Hawkens Shop, a butt plate from TOTW, and an older Renegade trigger guard, (they were identical to the Hawken only blued iron), I stripped the blueing and browned them. With TOTW or Pecatonaca stocks you will have the option of installing a entry ramrod pipe and nose guard, which would be more authenticly correct for a Hawken...

dmills said:
To measure LOP I am measuring from the frnt trigger to the center of the butt which is 14" on my T/C. Is that the correct measurement?
Yes...front edge of front trigger in the middle of it's curve, to the back edge of the brass buttplate in the middle of it's curve.

Some of the aftermarket stocks have additional stockwood to set the LOP that you want, however, this requires that you (or someone) actually complete the finish work on the stock itself.

Knowing my struggle to cut a straight line across a 2x4 with a skillsaw, I went the route that I did.
:grin:

dmills said:

If it is a duplicate of the T/C stock, it won't have the additional 1+ inch drop that Pecatonica and TOTWs stocks have.
That drop made a world of difference in the way my TC comes to my eye when it's shouldered.

Well, thats kinda what I was thinking. :thumbsup: I am going over to pick up a GM drop in 45 cal. barrel this weekend. So I thought I might get a nice curly maple stock to finish up, use the conversion kit from the Hawken Shop, pick up a set of triggers and a lock off e-bay and put that all together for rifle #2, plus the experience. Then I would have the .50 for hunting season and the .45 for shootin' paper in Brady, etc.

here's mine i gotten from pectonica river....but was far from drop in...............bob

347696.jpg

Nice work, Bob. Which grade of maple is that. I'm assuming its at least the #3. I am not expecting or even wanting a drop-in. But what was the most difficult part of fitting? Did you have Pectonica do the cut for the buttplate?

Those of you thinking about restocking to obtain more drop in the stock, notice the position of the butt plate in the picture comparing it to the standard TC stock next to it. :)

it's a grade #4 stock....the hardest part was the butt plate cause i didn't have them cut it for lop....here's the finished pic fer ya............bob

331786.jpg

Back