• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to black powder shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoGlenn24

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Howdy all, I am a college student at Texas A&M looking to get into muzzleloading and black powder shooting. I’ve got some solid experience with shooting sports and looking to take the next step into some historical firearms.

Any advice or tips on getting in to muzzleloading and historical firearms is welcome!

I’m a new convert too…but much past college age. Get what you like but remember that there are many “extras” that come with muzzle loaders. It’s not like picking up a new gun and a box of cartridges and you are good to go. That was probably my biggest lesson and you will probably end up spending more than you thought you would but personally …I’m hooked!

Welcome and enjoy.

Welcome from the Northeast!

Here’s what I’d do … what era (when) appeals to YOU the most???? And possibly add where you are (North, South, west, etc.), and then pick a suitable arm from there, e.g.,

Late 1600s/early 1700s - Matchlock or doglock, depends ‘where’ your persona is

French & Indian War - French fusil de chasse 62-cal musket

Colonial days - Early, militia musket. Late, early Colonial rifle

Lewis & Clarke era - 1803 Harper’s Ferry flint rifle

Longhunter - Trade musket or rifle

Jerimiah Johnson/fur trade - Flint to percussion Hawken

… this is NOT an exact list, nor is it meant to be, but just to give you some ideas!

Then again, you might like some specific BP arm 1st, say like the Civil War era rifled-muskets of the imported British Enfields or the 1863 Springfields, where then you could decide ‘who’ and ‘where’ you are … if you take it that far. Some of us might just have a hat & maybe a shirt to shoot with our BP arms and just go shooting, and that’s OK too.

In the end … your options are wide open! Just beware this pursuit is ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!! And yes, the historical part also adds a HUGE interest to it for me too! Consider subscribing the Muzzleloader magazine.

Howdy all, I am a college student at Texas A&M looking to get into muzzleloading and black powder shooting. I’ve got some solid experience with shooting sports and looking to take the next step into some historical firearms.

Any advice or tips on getting in to muzzleloading and historical firearms is welcome!
Welcome from Nebraska!
My first thought for you: Examine and study the types of traditional muzzleloaders out there first. Ask questions, and decide for you, rifle, pistol, revolver, smoothbore, flint, or percussion. Once you have it narrowed down to the area/gun type you want, then go for just that one. Shoot, and learn that gun and go from there. There is much to learn!
Larry

Welcome from Nashvegas!

The easiest and cheapest way to get started is to build your own kit gun. Something like a St Louis Hawken style is really popular. The percussion caps that used to be super cheap and plentiful aren't as easy to find anymore and are more expensive, so seriously consider a flintlock version. You can make your own caps, but it's 70 or 80 bucks to get started with that. I'm a recent convert to flint (well, almost... kit is on the way.)

Also, making a lot of the accoutrements is a much cheaper way to get started and can be a source of immense pride when you manage to make something cool to use in your shooting... power horns, possibles bag, powder measure... you can make all that for pretty cheap. Think: "recycled and scrounged materials." Burn the paint off an Altoids and/or a Breath Savers can and you have historical (looking) tins to use for patches or other small plunder. Find a leather somethingor'nuther in a natural color at the Goodwill and remake it into a roundball pouch or any number of things.

Your imagination combined with creativity will help you along the way...

Welcome to an amazing and rewarding adventure. I suggest reading, researching and developing an idea of what appeals to you. I started after high school with an interest in civil war era firearms. That has morfed or regressed into Hawkens and now a very strong interest in flintlocks. It has been a journey back through time.

Depending on availability of supplies in your area a flinter is good option.
Before anything I would locate the things I need and then order all of it.
Black powder does favor best in a flinter.
4f in pan but 3f can work too.
I have used pyrodex "P" without issue but wouldn't trust it in the pan. You can also duplex the load by putting a small amount of black under the substitute powder to help ignition.

Welcome from Pa. One source of accoutrements , like shooting bags , and kits to sew your own , is Crazy Crow Trading co.. Their leather bags are not too expensive , and they have the usual stuff to make a m/l gun shoot. Another catalog for a beginner , is Log Cabin M/l shop. They answer questions , and have a full time m/l gunsmith on board. They are good folks.

Welcome to the black powder culture!

I would decide on what era I am most interested in and research the guns.

I would also think about building one from a kit. It's a very rewarding part of the hobby.

I would read everything I could find on the different types of muzzleloaders.

See if there is anyone holding muzzleloader shoots locally and attend one. See if you can find someone to mentor you.

Look into any living History, muzzleloader shows locally and attend one.

Good luck!

Back